Carter carb parts are unavailable?

Big_B

Oct 22, 2003
Sacramento
Figured someone here may be able to enlighten me on this one. My brother and I own a 1994 Chaparral ski boat, and have been having problems with the carb. When we got it I was looking at the carb and saw that it was a carter AFB, just like my edelbrock.

So my brother tears down the carb and goes to buy a rebuild kit, and everywhere he goes they say that they don't make them anymore (the kits). It seems we can find a gasket kit for an automotive carb, but not the marine. And that kit doesn't include floats or anything.

Why is this? I realize Carter isn't around anymore, and that I guess Edelbrock owns the design rights (?). Does anyone know the history of this?

• Sponsors (?)

Is there a way to compare the parts from the marine application to an automotive application? It's been a while since I was behind the parts counter, but, if you have the carb #'s they should be able to find what you are looking for. Mind you, if they can't find in the computer they are not giving you the proper customer service you deserve. Ask them to dust off the old books and start looking, you may be surprised to find that the parts will interchange. After all...it's still a gasoline engine isn't it??

Jim

Well that's what I thought too, but after doing some research the marine carbs are not made exactly like the auto ones. The metering is designed differently so that the carb cannot flood as much fluid as an auto can. When you look at the gaskets they are different.

Oh well, he ended up buying a new 600 cfm edlebrock (the engine is a 4.3L V6) and it started on the second try. He just called me from the lake and I walked him through the idle/mixture adjustments.