Caster camber/suspension questions

American_Muscle

May 9, 2005
Hey guys

I'm working on installing my first suspension.
I've already got MMR coilovers pretty much installed.
Now I've got MM CC plates.

Problem is...I can't seem to tighten them..(?)

The nuts are only locking nuts correct?
You can only screw them down far enough until the rubber ring inside of the nut reaches the threaded bolt.
I don't get it...How do I get it tight enough?
In my case, the nuts aren't holding anything in place.

Also....are there a lot of issues with coilovers rubbing on the wheels in the front?

Because I don't know if it's possible but the wheels won't even come close to fitting and they're not wide...like 215 or 225's I believe. (I'll check on that later)

Sorry for the primitive questions....just kinda lost here.

Thanks
Patrick

• Sponsors (?)

Pat, please note that I dont have CC's yet (I need them).

With nuts that have a nylon insert at the top, it can be a pain to tighten them. You really have to crank on them, which means that you need to make sure that the threaded shank they are going on, cant spin. PITA. I dont know if that is your issue or if those are the right nuts - that is why I posted only generic info and not CC plate specific info. I just dont know.

You can get rack limiters for very cheap to limit the turn in of your wheels. Those will help you if need rub. I have an article about installing them saved somewhere if you need it.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Pat, please note that I dont have CC's yet (I need them).

With nuts that have a nylon insert at the top, it can be a pain to tighten them. You really have to crank on them, which means that you need to make sure that the threaded shank they are going on, cant spin. PITA. I dont know if that is your issue or if those are the right nuts - that is why I posted only generic info and not CC plate specific info. I just dont know.

You can get rack limiters for very cheap to limit the turn in of your wheels. Those will help you if need rub. I have an article about installing them saved somewhere if you need it.

Good luck.

Yeah that's definitely my case.

There's a nylon ring insert in each nut.

So can that type of nut actually be tightened to where the nut isn't just on the "head" of the bolt. I thought it had sort of a "stopper" function so that it can't be spun farther down.

I don't have cc plates either but i know what knd of nuts you're talking about and they go on easy with your finger untill it hits the top of the bolt but after that you have to use a socket or wrench to turn them down the rest of the way.

Hope this helps , good luck.

Marlboro_Man said:
I don't have cc plates either but i know what knd of nuts you're talking about and they go on easy with your finger untill it hits the top of the bolt but after that you have to use a socket or wrench to turn them down the rest of the way.

Hope this helps , good luck.

So the nylon ring insert can be screwed down over the bolt as well?

I thought it served as sort of a "stopper".

American_Muscle said:
So the nylon ring insert can be screwed down over the bolt as well?

I thought it served as sort of a "stopper".
Yes it should screw down all the way past the nylon and untill it tightens up against what it's supposed to.

At least this is the way all of them i have ever used worked.

Ok thanks ..I'll give it a shot.

Also do you know anything about coilovers rubbing on the front tire?

Does that happen often? They're not wide...just 225's.

Kinda stuck on that one too.....the tire came nowhere near being rub free.
I couldn't even mount it.

The threads on the strut have to come atleast to the top on the nut, they should come through a few threads. The Nylon is what locks them in place. They sell a special socket that holds the stut while tightening the nut, a impact also does wonders...

What year is the car?

Starting from the bottom what is the stack up of the parts...

Strut, sleeve, needle bearings, cap,spacers etc....

Rick:

It's a 91.
The struts are KYB and like I said, I installed an MMR coilover kit.

I just barely got the nuts off...I'll probably just tighten everything as good as possible and then either borrow an impact gun or figure something else out.lol