Catalyst converter‘s Turning red hot!

2020 PP2 5.0

Mar 31, 2020
Texas
What’s going on guys! I’m currently restoring a 1994 mustang GT 5.0! The car has not been operated in eight years it was Only started time to time. Purchased the vehicle from a relative. He claims the reason he stopped driving it was because he was having loss of power when accelerating. I changed the fuel pump drained the old gas and got it running. Car responded great. Shortly after the car would not start easy, would run sluggish and the cats turned red hot! I was thinking my cats were clogged or maybe the injectors? Any help or advice would be appreciated

all I’ve done to the car as of now
Engine coolant,Thermostat,Fuel filter
Fuel pump,Air filter and battery. Will be changing the spark pugs and oil this weekend hopefully!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site, moved your thread to the correct forum from "Other Auto Tech" (that one's a black hole from which your post would've never seen light).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Is the emissions stuff still hooked up?
I would disconnect the pipes at the headers and see if it runs better.
Also make sure your fuel pressure is good.
Have you run the codes?
Emissions still hooked up. No codes ran yet also no check engine light! I will try disconnecting the pipes at the headers, I’ve been getting that a lot from a few people! Thanks

Weather the emissions stuff is functioning or not is not likely to be the problem. It not functioning would make the cat run cold, not hot. Either the catalytic converter is clogged, or the car is running pig rich.

Kurt

Weather the emissions stuff is functioning or not is not likely to be the problem. It not functioning would make the cat run cold, not hot. Either the catalytic converter is clogged, or the car is running pig rich.

Kurt

Kurt
I noticed a little bit of black smoke coming out the exhaust. so I put my hand up to it and whenever I smelled my hand I got a slight gasoline smell.

I noticed a little bit of black smoke coming out the exhaust. so I put my hand up to it and whenever I smelled my hand I got a slight gasoline smell.

I had something like that before. The car ran like hell. It didn't have catalytic converters, but it was getting hot enough to make the headers glow. In my case it was a bad wire on an O2 sensor. I would pull a spark plug and look at the plug.

Kurt

I had this happened on my 94, 331 Stroker, the stock cats turned bright red...usually means the engine is timing is off (missing), or to much fuel going through, regardless, it usually means your cats our toast, I installed some high flow Magnaflow cats with the metallic substrate, and my cats are working fine without the red glow. Good luck

I had this happened on my 94, 331 Stroker, the stock cats turned bright red...usually means the engine is timing is off (missing), or to much fuel going through, regardless, it usually means your cats our toast, I installed some high flow Magnaflow cats with the metallic substrate, and my cats are working fine without the red glow. Good luck
Thanks for the advice I will be replacing the cats and exhaust, looking into the magnaflows!

Hey I had the same exact thing happen to me on my 95 gt auto it turned out the distributor was bad not the cap and rotor something inside the distributor went out took me months to figure it out cheap distributor for 94 95 is on eBay for about 35 almost guarantee that’s your problem