Catch Cans Need Information 4.6 Gt 2V

OneSick99GT

Nov 20, 2018
Dayton, Ohio
Hey Guys/Gals,
I'm wanting some info from someone here who drives a mustang 99-04 that's utilizing a catch can. Pictures would be nice if you can get those. There are two different styles to use but not enough pictures online or info on which one is better. I want to know what you have and why so I can choose my setup. I have alot of mods and bigger heads. I'm pushing about 450 HP NA on a 4.6 2v and have alot of blowby. ANyone care to comment. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Excuse my dirty engine bay.

Moroso’s kit is great. Love the position on the front of the engine and easy emptying valve on the bottom of the can. Have a blow thru setup so my crankcase is no longer connected to the air intake. Crankcases dislike boost. :D

Both valve covers have tubing that comes to a T (brass T in picture) feeding the can. Outlet of can has a hose that feeds in to the fender next to the air intake cone filter. Smell is gone. :nice:

Since you are still NA - similar setup but you can connect the can outlet to your intake to take advantage of the vacuum (but now with no oil in your intake!).

Attachments

• A25A00C5-31DF-4493-8AFF-52E4BA12C93F.jpeg
    A25A00C5-31DF-4493-8AFF-52E4BA12C93F.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:
Thanks @Dark04GT. Yeah Im buying a catch can from American muscle that still uses the vacuum system but removes the oil. I've seen other setups where they completely remove the vacuum system. They block the port off the cold air intake and on the throttle body. Then just have a catch can between the two valve covers to catch the oil. I wasn't sure about this setup though being NA. I can definitely see why people do that though to have cleaner air and better combustion with less oil going into the cylinders. Makes a lot of sense. So should I use the vacuum way or just block the intake and throttle body and use only a catch can.

Vacuum way is better to remove that blow by - maximizes longevity of the motor, and actively flushes out blow by. There is no performance detriment - At WOT the PCV system is barely moving any air. The PCV system moves the most air at idle / max vacuum to clean up that crankcase.

If I were still NA I’d use the catch can and hook it up to the air intake. Better setup then just breathers / just venting it.

Should be one port for the IAC, one for the PCV. If there are ports beyond that - some aftermarket intakes have a tap for methanol and/or a dry nitrous kit. If nothing clearly goes in that port I’d cap it.

I ran the catch can from the IAC to the pcv valve like you said. I attached a picture to show how I ran it. I've also attached two pictures showing the driver side valve cover jetting a hose over to the cold air intake as well. I'm assuming this is part of the vacuum system. Is there anything I can do for that to prevent blow by on that side of the motor. I can't just put a breather on that one can I and cap off the air intake port? Just curious as I want it to be clean inside the throttle body so if i can do something with that I will.

Attachments

• 20190710_103943.jpg
    20190710_103943.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 1,199
  • 20190710_104021.jpg
    20190710_104021.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 820
  • 20190710_104013.jpg
    20190710_104013.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 930
You have vacuum so that “clean air side” tube brings clean air in at idle to the driver side (less vacuum here) while the PCV on the passenger side pulls the air out under vacuum (more vacuum here makes this mostly a one way system). Drive around for a gas tank or two - check your oil catch can and check that “clean air side” tube. You should have a little crud in the oil catch can and a dry clean air side tube. If that is the case you are good.