CDI Boxes in 2022. Opinions?

Cheapskate207

The left one hangs a little lower
Jan 12, 2020
Maine
It’s 2022, what’s everyone’s opinions on CDI boxes? I know they’re not necessary, as I’m making 416hp on the stock ignition system. But, I’d kinda like to add rev limiter. I have no issues, but it does rev up pretty quickly now with the blower so the added security would provide peace of mind. Or so I just get a shift light and drive mindfully?

• Sponsors (?)

It’s 2022, what’s everyone’s opinions on CDI boxes? I know they’re not necessary, as I’m making 416hp on the stock ignition system. But, I’d kinda like to add rev limiter. I have no issues, but it does rev up pretty quickly now with the blower so the added security would provide peace of mind. Or so I just get a shift light and drive mindfully?
You could always do a quarterhorse and change the rev limiter to whatever you like. If you have a fox eec it will have a rev limit of 6250 built in from factory.

The cdi boxes are fine, I know some don’t like them, some do. As far as something like a 6AL, that would work if you choose to go that route.

I actually do have a quarter horse and recently had it tuned. Strangely enough my tuner recommended a CDI box for a rev limiter. At the time I did not know to ask about adjusting the limiter via the tune.

ECU rev limiters usually use a fuel cut-off instead of a spark cut-off, which is much better if you're running live cats. Plus, it's a free feature already built into your factory controller. If you have the BIN file or can pull it from the quarterhorse, it should be easy to edit and flash it back in.

What ignition coil are you running now? We ran an MSD6A on my friend's '86 GT back in the day with the stock coil and it lasted about 4 months before it started to break-up / misfire at 4k rpm. You definitely have to match the coil to CD box if you make the switch. You're probably already planning to do the package deal, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

I currently have an msd blaster coil, so that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m not opposed to using quarterhorse to adjust. I just don’t want to mess anything with the tune up. I just paid a lot for a dyno tune and it’s running better than it ever has. I assume I would need to buy a license for BE to pull the current bin, save it, then edit it? I’ve never messed with BE before.