Center Console Heating up!

shlby123

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2002
Dallas
When I've been driving on the highway (live about 30 miles from work) the center console heats up considerably where the ash tray is, and it worries me a little bit. I mean it's not heating up to the point that it burns or anything but it's REALLY warm.Anybody think this might be serious? I mean it kinda does it sometimes of Im just cruisin around town now again too!

• Sponsors (?)

First thing I would check would be the shifter boots.

Make sure they are still in good working condition and not ripped.

When they rip they can allow a lot of heat to come up through the floor.

Also you might want to make sure your catalitic converters are in good working order as well.
If they start to become clogged they can heat up and this will in turn heat up your floorboard as well.

Good Luck.

I think its perfectly normal all things considered. I have driven my car many times on long trips up I-95 and recall the same thing. As long as its not so hot that it will combust, I wouldn't worry about. 5.0's produce a lot of heat, especially when driving on the highway.

shlby123 said:
Shifter boots? Whats that?
The one on the bottom left that goes around your shifter to keep heat out.

LRS-7277JK.jpg

Some like to put one of these on to keep even more heat out.

It's an insulated shifter boot.
89316000.gif

My car has done the same thing for over 17yrs and on really long trips you can barely touch the ash tray because it gets so hot.
I've check out every possible cause including the shifter boot and haven't found the exact problem that causes it yet.
So it looks like I'll be trying the insulated shifter boot next.

My car does does it but only when the windows are down. Kinda like it creates suction and pulls the hot air in. But I also don't have the lower boot and i can't justify spending $50-60 for one from 50resto, so i just taped it up real good but it still does it. When it's cold outside cold air will come in from there as well and it's like having the a/c on when it's 30* outside lol.

Boy, the Mustang was so ahead of it's time. They did this to keep peoples' 96 ounce latte warm. But then they forgot the cup holders. :(

In all seriousness (kinda), Kevin's thoughts were what occurred to me as well. Kev - neat boot. I hadn't seen that before.

OT: A.S., your comment awhile back about seeing everyone eye-to-eye was :nice: I liked the way you phrased that (along the lines of: I see everyone eye-to-eye, but............. as a small aside, small planes have almost flown into my head. :D ).