Centerforce clutch for 01 Cobra

• Sponsors (?)

I have one on my 99, and at first I thought it was great but now after less than a year, the throwout bearing is loud as **** and the overall feel of it sux big time, I can't wait to go back to the stock one. A performance shop just had this to say about it, well I guess you know when your in gear, man. It is like an on/off switch, not as bad as a spec though, from what I hear.Honestly I guess a Mcleod .custom clutch setup is the only way to go, but I heard RAM is good too. Clutches do not perform the same on all cars though so you may still want to try it out, just be very careful breaking it in and it heats up pretty easily . I just wasnt prepared for all the noise it makes. It is very agressive and doesnt mind it when you dump the clutch from high revs all day long, it just it not my choice for a street car. good luck sorry to bash centerforce ahah

i've had my centerforce for 1000 miles now....

broke it in for 450 miles like they suggested... did you do this chuck? i took extra care to make sure esp. for the first 250 miles it was kept under 3,000rpm with very easy launches and slow shifts...

i also downshifted and made un-necessary shifts just to get everything well broken-in....

i have a centerforce II in my 96 cobra. love it. Throwout bearing did get a little noisy but put steeda clutch kit in and it went away.Centerforce II clamps 60% harder than stock, dual friction clamps 90%. Great clutches.

not to bash centerforce or anything but who cannot squeek 2nd gear with any crappy clutch at all...or did you mean squeek 3rd or 4th because that seems a bit more challangeing for a crappy clutch like you said you had. Mine would probably operate better if my mechanic told me to keep the revs down, I had no idea when breaking it in.

No, I was talking about 2nd....

I had an old slippling clutch on the car when I bought it (it got so bad that if I mashed the throttle on the highway the revs went WAY up but the car went NOwhere).

I replaced the old one with this Centerforce and I'm loving it so far. I'm putting ~270/280 to the wheels of my 87 with the big 275 drag radials on it... so its really not that easy to sqeak the tires through the gears (you have to be trying).

One thing you will find when you open any topic up about clutches - is that everyone has had a good experience and a bad experience with each of the mentioned clutches.

Until my Dual Friction gets smoked, I'll put in a good word for them.... So far its survived just under 1,000 miles (the old one only lived for 8,000).

yup i agree that there is a different clutch that is good for everyone, for one person it may be centerforce, another it may be spec or if your me Id just go with a stock one. I just wish I knew how important it was to break it it correctly. I actually called centerforce and told them how upset I was of the performance of it and they actually said that breaking it right was very minor although I was shocked by that comment because commense sense says otherwise but I just went by my transmission shops words. he said just dont launch it hard but once its moving you can shift as hard as you want. :mad: Now that I realize how much that makes no sense haha

Exhaust sound

01TrueBlueCobra said:
I was looking into buying a Centerforce II dual friction clutch kit for my 01 Cobra since I hear lots of people having problems with Spec clutches . Anyone have experience with this clutch.

Off the subject. Assume the x pipe is catted. Do you have a comparison of other 01 Cobra's with the Bassani X pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters vs your magnaflows. I have the Bassani catted X pipe but want more deep tone. Will the magnaflow be better or about the same as flowmaster. Thanks

Ok heres the thing, I have a catted bassani x pipe with flowmaster mufflers. I love it. If you want your cobra to sound just like an old school stang from the hay days than Id say go with the flows. The reason is because the flowmasters give a deeper tone, and resonance and a slower lumper tone...that can be noticed at idle. the magnaflows will sound alot quicker, the beat of the sound that is. I wish I had a sound clip but I just think the flows=muscle car sound while the other stuff is too import like or exotic. The flows make your x pipe sound a bit more like an off road h pipe I think