Centerforce Dual VS Spec Stage II

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
I know i will get many different answers on which is better, but I am more interested to see:

1) what you are putting them behind
2) how long they have held up
3) what kind of driving you have done with them

I will be putting it in my 93 with Z Spec T5. Car makes around 350fwtq, maybe a little more. 95% street, limited strip...but I drive it pretty hard. 3400lbs with driver.

I have the basic Ram model now, which is suppossed to be good for 450fwhp, but looks like it has crapped out on me in just four months. I think it started to give up at the track last month. I like the Spec Stage II because I have heard it holds well and last a long time, but the con is that it has no give and is like an on off switch.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Centerforce Dual Friction, but its own description says for stock or moderately modified vehicles. That doesn't inspire too much confidence in it.

Tell me what you think!

• Sponsors (?)

Our Super Street Pro is offered as a complete clutch kit for the 1979-98 mustangs that is rated to 500HP. The kit comes with a 10.5" pressure plate,dual friction disc,throw out bearing,pilot bearing and pilot tool. Part number is a 75205. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Between those two, I personally like the SPEC. I do like the McLeod products as well, been very impressed with one of theirs I installed in a customers turbo car, holding 600rwtq

Thanks for the replies.

McLeod Racing, You give a stangnet discount? :)

Rick, can you tell me why you prefer the spec? Is that drag racing purely, or do you like them for the street. I have heard that with their no give characteristics, they are harsh on trannies and rearends....but they hold and are strong.

My fathernlaw swears by Spec, but his car is purely strip with built trans and built 33 spline rearend.

had a spec II in my car was a very heavy pedal effort i have a centerforce dual friction part#DF021057 now the one listed for 93 cobra 94/95 mustang gt it has a little more clamping force cost 50 bucks more than other centerforce foxbody clutch. The clutch pedal feels as soft as original ford and grabs real nice im around 400rwhp so far very pleased with centerforce........whatever clutch u choose i would spend 50 bucks on ford racing throwout bearing and use ford pilot bearing worth it

Thanks for the replies.

McLeod Racing, You give a stangnet discount? :)

Rick, can you tell me why you prefer the spec? Is that drag racing purely, or do you like them for the street. I have heard that with their no give characteristics, they are harsh on trannies and rearends....but they hold and are strong.

My fathernlaw swears by Spec, but his car is purely strip with built trans and built 33 spline rearend.

I had a bad expierence with CF a longtime ago personally and with a customer more recently, and it just stays with me.

I have used the SPEC stuff in 250hp daily drivers to 800hp race cars and have had excellent results, and no failures. I was concerened about my Stage 3 clutch in my own car and sent it in for review, they sent me a brand new clutch even though I had only worn .003" off the current one....that has stayed with me. Yes the Stage 3 can be hard on a T5, especially if your car leaves hard and hooks, it is aburpt (4 puck version) and the more heat you put in it, the harder it grips. The 6 puck version does allow a little easier slippage. Personally a Stage II Spec will do everything you need and more, if you need one let me know if I can help ;)

I use SPECs nearly exclusive in cars that leave me shop, proper adjustment is critcal with any clutch to make it last, proper break in is also crucial. I tried the McLeod in the turbo car since I did not need the aggressiveness of a Stage III but I needed the holding strength....decided to try something new.

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure which one I will go with....I originally bought the chepo Ram with the intentions of using it kinda like a fuse for my trans...just didn't expect it to go so quickly. I really like the idea of having a clutch that will last a while (ie Spec). I will let yall know what I decide and how it turns out. Thanks again!

Just an update....

I bought the Spec Stage II for $290 shipped from CJ Ponyparts during their 15% off sale. Also got a firewall adjuster and new cable, already had a billet quadrant. Ordered Thursday, pulled trans Friday, got clutch Saturday, put in on Sunday.

Turns out my cable was shot....It was very difficult to pull the cable through the sheathing....the new one slides freely both ways (old one was FRPP and so is new one). I like the firewall adjuster, very nice. I think the pedal feel is actually alot lighter than that I had with the Ram, but it may be due to my old notchy cable. I took it for a 15 mile cruise tonight and it did not feel like an "on off switch". Going to take it easy for the first 500 miles, but can't wait to romp on it.

Also, the pressure plate in the Ram appears to be defective. The disc is fine...looks brand new. The only exception is that it appears that only the outer ring of the pressure plate was making good contact. The center of the disc and pressure plate appeared to have no wear what so ever. I had this happen in my Ranger once....the pressure plate went bad, clutch slipped horribly and shifting was almost impossible because it wasn't disengaging. Going to call Ram and see if they will cover it under warranty.

I let yall know how I like the clutch in about a month. Thanks for replies and suggestions!