Chairs out of old seats?

Darkwriter77

Resident Ranting Negative Nancy
5 Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Apache Junction, AZ
Okay, at risk of sounding completely redneck and hillbilly here, I gotta ask ... has anyone here used their old Fox (or other car) seats for chairs around the house? Like, mounting them to an old office chair base, or bolting/welding them to some kinda homemade bracket?

I'd like to swap some different seats into my 'vert at some point in the future, and while I don't see them as being worth selling (faded, worn/torn fabric in places), I don't want to just toss them in a dumpster, either, because they're still pretty comfy to sit in. I was thinking they'd make a couple of nice computer chairs or game seats (for sitting in front of the TV).

Just curious if anyone else had done this as well, or had any ideas on how to go about it. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it was Corbeau who makes an office chair "racing seat" which they still have on their website. My old seats from the '89 are in the basement. I planned on recovering them but they ended up by the pool table and haven't left.

You mean like this?

IM000517.jpg

Me and my friend made this about 4 years agoe one day when we were drunk/bored.
A small 9v battery mounted underneath works great for the power lumbar too.

I think for an office chair it's a badass idea. How cool would it be to have a nice racing seat for an office chair? You'd really need some kind of arm rests but it'd be cool to have a 5 point harness and everything done up with it.

I have a friend that wrecked hit Terminator in 04 and he made a base for the seats and his wife took apart the back set tp make foot rests :nice: It was soo comfy and just looked killer. He had them in his game room, rich SOB :fuss:

I use the rear seat backs from an '04 GT as seats when i sit on the floor with my laptop on the coffee table. It's very comfortable.

My friends come over and think it's weird but when they sit on them they love em

Exactly! :nice:

So, did you have to weld up a bracket for it, or were you able to just take some scrap metal and bolt it together?

Actually, I just took the seat brackets off, and screwed to pieces of wood to the top of the office chair base, then drilled holes in the wood to run bolts into the bottom of the seat where the seat bracket bolted to. We did this in a matter of about 10 mins. I also spliced a 9v battery terminal into the lumbar wiring and mounted it under there too.

Actually, I just took the seat brackets off, and screwed to pieces of wood to the top of the office chair base, then drilled holes in the wood to run bolts into the bottom of the seat where the seat bracket bolted to. We did this in a matter of about 10 mins. I also spliced a 9v battery terminal into the lumbar wiring and mounted it under there too.

Schweeeet. :nice:

I might do something similar my making some wood bases (painted or stained/urethaned, of course) to use them as game chairs/mini-recliners in the living room. Haven't quite decided just yet...