changin 4.6 to 5.0 maybe

paintballpyro1

Jan 6, 2004
Michigan
ok i have a 96 mustang gt and what im thinkin bout doing is taking my 4.6l out of my car and maybe puttin in a 5.0l . if i do this what would i need to do for the wiring and whatever else? would i be able to use old wiring or would i need to get a new harness and other stuff? please tell me what you think and what other stuff i should take into mind thanks. also sry if this is posted in wrong area..

• Sponsors (?)

I would stick a 99+ engine in there. The swap is less of a pain and you can reuse the existing wiring harness and accesories. plus you'll have more power to start off with. I would stay away from old technology.

lopey4.6 said:
I would stick a 99+ engine in there. The swap is less of a pain and you can reuse the existing wiring harness and accesories. plus you'll have more power to start off with. I would stay away from old technology.

I agree. I would try to find a used low mileage 99+ engine or rebuild your engine and get some PI heads. Those will be your two easiest options.

Black96VertGT said:
The 99+ already have the PI heads, don't they?

Yes. I believe he means replace your motor with a 99+ OR rebuild your motor and do the head swap. If you wanted to do the 5.0 swap, you'd need a K-member from a 94 or 95 GT. Then motor, tranny that has a bellhousing that can bolt to a 5.0. You'll also need computer all associated wiring...yadda yadda. I'm working on putting a DOHC 4.6 in my 88. These are the things I've run into so far. I'm not sure what you'd have to do to your fuel system, or if your speedometer is computer or mechanicaly controlled.