Changing head unit-easy or hard?

Big McLargeHuge

Apr 8, 2006
I have an 06 GT with a Shaker 500, and I've been thinking about changing to another head unit so I can get real iPod integration. Is this a relatively simple thing to do? I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing it myself.
Also, has anyone used Crutchfield's professional installation service? Any good?
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Before you do anything, you might want to look at the Crutchfield removal/install instructions here:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/download/sample_0190011-a.pdf
I used these to gain access to the mounting bolts for my Shaker 500 last weekend to tighten them up to quiet down an annoying rattle. Removal of all trim pieces and access to the head unit is very straightforward. It requires nothing more in the way of tools than a phillips head screwdriver, a 1/4" drive ratchet with extension, & 7mm socket.

I am not confortable doing this. My dealer scratched my dash when he replaced my first Shaker 500. My local stereo guy put in an Alpine and satellite radio with no problem.
You'll love the ipod controls in the head unit. Even the new Mustangs which let you plug in an ipod don't have the controls in the head unit. My ipod is hidden in the console and I only need it when I add songs to it.
Everything is visible in the display of my head unit and I can search for songs, artists, etc. It's the only way to go.

Before you do anything, you might want to look at the Crutchfield removal/install instructions here:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/download/sample_0190011-a.pdf
I used these to gain access to the mounting bolts for my Shaker 500 last weekend to tighten them up to quiet down an annoying rattle. Removal of all trim pieces and access to the head unit is very straightforward. It requires nothing more in the way of tools than a phillips head screwdriver, a 1/4" drive ratchet with extension, & 7mm socket.

Did you find/fix the rattle?

For about $90 and an hour of your time you can install an interface unit that will allow you to use your iPod or any other MP3 player. A company called Logjam Electronics markets a device made by PIE (Precision Interface Electronics). You can get info at logjamelectronics.com.

I have an Alpine 9857. Alpine has head units for as little as $150 that will control the ipod. Mine cost $350 but it has a fancy display. I also added Satellite. I do not miss the Shaker at all. It's my understanding, according to my local stereo guy, that Alpine is also working on a unit that will display video from the video ipod.