Changing My Vin. On My Pcm

I have a 01 gt with a 03 cobra motor, harness's and cobra PCM and fuel tank. I have had this setup since 05. They have just changed the rules 2017 in NY for inspections. There software is making shore the vin. on the car matches what the PCM says it is and mine dose not. because my 03 cobra PCM is a cobra pcm. I have the sct 4 and my tuner can't change the vin. I went to ford to have them do it. and there software will not because when they go through the steps there software says the 03 cobra pcm is not compatible with this vehicle vin. meaning my gt vin.

Anybody that has down any swaps even 5.0 coyote swaps did you get the vin on the pcm to match your cars vin?

• Sponsors (?)

That's a tough one buddy,have you tried talking to a specialty service shop that deals mainly in computer reflashes-or even a higher end lock smith? Some of them are capable of doing reprograms when computers are swapped out

I am still trying to process how it even legal for state to make this requirement. So you can never change a computer controlled engine or PCM from year to year???

Who are they to make that call?

Something doesn't sound right. If a car meets or exceeds emissions expectations for the make, model, and year then that's the end of their authority to enforce. Beyond that, what is they are enforcing? A law, guideline, or standard that doesn't exist and has no bearing on safety or emissions.

Most of your law makers were likely conceived in the back of a modded car. :shrug:

How badly would I have to screw up a Coyote swap in order to make it perform worse than 1965 era 302 or 351? lol

Reactions: 1 users
Sound almost like California emission laws. It would be wonderful if all it took was to pass tailpipe emission requirements, but for lawmakers it is more important to follow their rules than get good results.

Yup. They got Arizona too. Before they would just plug in and it was a quick deal. Now they are digging deeper into the computer to see what monitors are being turned off. Getting ridiculous.

They have a referee here in Cali. for these type of things. Here you have to pass the emission requirements for the engine year you are installing or the vehicle, whichever is newer. Have you checked with your DMV, if it passes inspection you should get a waiver, just a damn computer entry!

You don't have to scrap the car if the PCM fails, you just have to replace it with one that is from the same model car. So with a GT, a used GT PCM can (probably) be re-flashed with the right VIN, but a Cobra PCM can't be. Hurray for big government :|

They have a referee here in Cali. for these type of things. Here you have to pass the emission requirements for the engine year you are installing or the vehicle, whichever is newer. Have you checked with your DMV, if it passes inspection you should get a waiver, just a damn computer entry!

Something along these lines is what I'm accustomed to seeing.