changing rear axle bearings on a 9"

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
whats the best way to do this? I have a stock 9" out of a 60's mustang that I want to go through and I pulled out the axleshafts and want to not damage the wheel bearings as they seem to be in good shape, but I want to sandblast and paint the backing plates on the axle so i'd like to pull them off.

• Sponsors (?)

If you pull the axles, I would go ahead and change them. Unless you know how many miles are on them.

Trust me, it cost me a night in a hotel because I did not change them:)

Being that the rear end is as old as it is, you have no way of knowing how old the axle bearings are [could be original --who knows?], or truely what condition they are in.

I've changed plenty of axle bearings and never had any premature failures with Timken bearings.

If the axle bearing spins freely, it's bad. It should have enough resistance [drag] that it shouldn't make more than 1½ revolutions if you were to place your thumb against the side of it and give it a swift spinning motion.

Replacing the bearings and axle seals, while everything is already out, is cheap insurance for later down the road.

http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/msg/1209425528.html