changing rear side windows

palone18

Apr 9, 2011
i have an 86 coupe with the small rear side windows and the plastic pieces, someone told me i could upgrade it to the newer style coupe with the big rear side windows. how would i do this?

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the quarter interior panels off and you will see the nuts holding the windows on the backside, unbolt them all then take a knife and carefully cut the window sealant around the window untill its off, reverse for install

pretty much like ID89GT stated. make sure you clean of all the old sealent good. get some 1/4" butyl tape for the reinstall. I have heard of some people using windshield uerthane type stuff but if ever need to get them off again it could be a real problem but it will work also. The tape works fine though. if you do use a caulk type material don't put on too thick or it will not compress down enough and over cranking on the window studs to get it flush could shatter the window.

the small window has like its own frame around it and where the plastic stuff is it is solid behind it?

I'm not really sure what you are talking about..if its the car itself you are talking about then yes. here is a pic of my car w/o the glass in. the structure is pretty much the same '79-'93. the newer glass is well more glass and appears larger, the newer style has a tinted area and small opening.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400