Changing rear springs...

3024bblHO

Jul 29, 2006
Hi guys, i am going to change the rear springs out on my 85 Mustang GT coupe because the rear end is sagging. I am going to go with basic springs, not trying to lower the car. My question is, how hard are rear springs to install on this car? What all goes into it? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

not bad at all if you have some mechanical ability. undo the upper shock nuts with a jack under the center of the rear. if you lower the jack you should be able to get the springs out otherwise you might have to undo the bolt for the lower control arm.

undo the shocks and the quads, with a jack under the rear end. You can only lower it soo far before there will be a peice of brake line that is ready to snap. From here i used another jack to jack up the side of the axle, thus making the alternate side drop even lower, where the spring will basically fall out with a little pry....new spring in....jack up the other side....button up the shocks and quads and your done.

-adam

Very easy ... take off the lower shock bolts (so the shocks are no longer attached to the axle) and then unbolt the sway bar (at a minimum loosen it a good amount) then drop the rear down as low as it will go without straining the soft brake line on top of the rear. After that the tension will be pretty much released from the spring and you can just pull down on the rear depending on what side you are trying to remove. Just reverse to install. Very simple, just did it today :D

EDIT: Thanks IWASH - if you have quads pull the bolt out that attaches to the axle.