Charging Problems!! Really need some help!

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Hey guys its been awhile since I have posted. Just got my car back form the local dyno shop in Akron. Its been there for 4 months now because of a scratched cam bearing they discovered. With a break in tune only 6 degrees of timing and 4 psi at 4500 rpm shes making 433 rwhp and 466 rwtq. Expecting 520 in both next spring, anyway sice i have gotten it back its not charging at all. my 1st attack was a new battery, it did nothing. So i took the old alt off, took it to autozone and it failed, so i said sweet theres the problem. Put the new one on and still nothing. I took the new one off to have that tested and it passed so that one is back on again. Ive checked for any loose, burnt or broken wires i see nothing. I really think i can fix this myself and i dont want to blame the tuner who did it cause ill be honest I havent had this car running in over a year who knows if they did something. The car has a 130 amp 3g upgrade it has been on the car for about 4 years now. I find it odd that my battery light never comes on either now, it would always come on before so maybe there is something in that situation. Im trying to think of anymore info i can give but im drawing blanks, where do i go from here??

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys its been awhile since I have posted. Just got my car back form the local dyno shop in Akron. Its been there for 4 months now because of a scratched cam bearing they discovered. With a break in tune only 6 degrees of timing and 4 psi at 4500 rpm shes making 433 rwhp and 466 rwtq. Expecting 520 in both next spring, anyway sice i have gotten it back its not charging at all. my 1st attack was a new battery, it did nothing. So i took the old alt off, took it to autozone and it failed, so i said sweet theres the problem. Put the new one on and still nothing. I took the new one off to have that tested and it passed so that one is back on again. Ive checked for any loose, burnt or broken wires i see nothing. I really think i can fix this myself and i dont want to blame the tuner who did it cause ill be honest I havent had this car running in over a year who knows if they did something. The car has a 130 amp 3g upgrade it has been on the car for about 4 years now. I find it odd that my battery light never comes on either now, it would always come on before so maybe there is something in that situation. Im trying to think of anymore info i can give but im drawing blanks, where do i go from here??

When I rebuilt my motor and got it back into the car I had the same problem. It ended up being the small (4 wires, I think) connector on the alt. It was cracked and not making a good connection.

I just unplugged both harness connectors at the back of the alt and I still have no battery light, some reason I think the problem lies in there, I could be wrong i dunno I really know where to go next!

The regulator grounds the battery light, so if you unplug the regulator plug, you (in essence) remove the grounding pathway.

With everything plugged in and a charged battery, check values:

Battery voltage should be at 12.6V or greater.

The A terminal on the reg (the reg is embossed with letters) should read battery voltage, plus or minus 1/2 V.

The I terminal should read over 1.0 V. IF it reads zero, there is an issue. This is what tells your alt to start charging. If it reads zero, unplug the reg and test the terminal on the body-harness directly. If necessary, do a continuity test on the wire at the alt and at the light. FWIW, the circuit has a 500 ohm resistor in parallel with the light, so if the light burns out, the alt still turns on. This would lead to a situation with no light but voltage at the I terminal.

S should float about 1/2 battery voltage.

If all that is copacetic, check your charge wire for issues.

Good luck.