Check out the D.A.R.E car in my town

• Sponsors (?)

They have a purple 5.0 w/ flames in Hackettstown.(NJ) Coolest looking thing! It was a drug confiscated car they use for the DARE program.

Where do they keep it? I've never seen it. I know Mount olive has a chameleon 87 ttop GT that was taken from a drug dealer. (im seeing a connection with drug dealers and 5.0's) I use to have pictures of it but I cant find them anymore.

I never have understood the whole D.A.R.E. car thing. I can see the point in going, "See? We seized this from a drug dealer. Nyah, nyah, it's ours now!" to kinda rub it in criminals' faces ... but WTF does this mean to anyone else? :shrug: Pretty much nothing ... especially when they seem to deliberately go out of their way to make the things look so frickin' hideous and absurd with tacky paint schemes and accessories and such. Who the hell do they really think they're impressing? :shrug:

FWIW, there's an early 90's Crown Vic rolling around Apache Junction with funky Draglite-style rims (like 10" wide meats in back), some crappy-sounding exhaust (sounds like they just deleted the muffs and ran straight pipes out back), and a huge freakin' scoop on the hood, with some cheesy star-spangled-banner design slathered all over the thing from front to back. WTF is that all about? I didn't look at it up close, but what does THAT car say? "Seized from a fellow police officer?" What a friggin' waste... :nonono:

IMO, they need to just stop buying police cars and convert every other car or truck they seize from a drug dealer into a patrol car, not just these fancy D.A.R.E. cars they only use in parades and crap. Not only would it save the city/county a buttload of money (I'm sure they seize LOTS of nice cars every year, they could just pick the best ones of the bunch), but they'd be a lot more incognito, because everyone's first instinct when they see a Crown Vic, Impala, or Charger is to think, "Oh crap, that's probably a cop, I'd better slow down" - this would not only help them nab a lot of traffic violators (and thus increase revenue), but also actually serve to be useful for catching REAL criminals committing REAL crimes ... because, let's face it, an unmarked Crown Vic still reeks of "bacon" as much as a fully-marked and light-topped cruiser.

IMO, they need to just stop buying police cars and convert every other car or truck they seize from a drug dealer into a patrol car, not just these fancy D.A.R.E. cars they only use in parades and crap.

I believe that they did use the white and greeen Gt as an undercover car in other towns, where peoople didn't know it was a cop car. I think they did this for about a year which was probably when the "bad guys" started recognizing the car, then it was turned into a dare car. So they did get some real use out of the car, but mostly I think they are trying to impress kids in elementry and middle shool with the cars.

very true...... the car didn't look too bad untill i saw the interior...... the real question is who would want to be seen driving it or even have their picture taken beside it?

2 towns south of Bordentown in Burlington Twp., we have a 92 emerald green LX D.A.R.E. car. It looks ok on the outside, but motor is nasty. They had the car airbrushed with all the D.A.R.E. stuff.
If I'm not mistaken, the funds for keeping up the D.A.R.E. vehicles comes from Grants, both public and private. It doesn't come from the tax roles as a previous writer suggests. I don't believe it's a "nyah, nyah" in your face either. It's well known that if you get caught with drugs in your car, you will forfiet it. Shame on you for getting caught and losing your car.
It's a great "ice breaker" when trying to talk to kids about the ravages of drug use. I personally think it's a great program and if it keeps one kid off drugs and out of jail it's well worth it.