Chocolate Milk

jherch77

Jan 5, 2009
Hi Everyone,

Our city recently underwent some weird subzero weather. I was not prepared and probably had 20/80 mixture of antifreeze...barely any antifreeze. My 99 GT's hoses, radiator, everything got frozen. When it thawed (apparently), I turned it on, and everything was ok for about a minute, then out of nowhere, it started 'spitting' an oil and water mixture from the air filter on the passenger's side wheel (see attached image). I turned it off and saw that the coolant tank was filled with a chocolate-milk-type liquid and took out the oil dipstick and it was full there too. I've had a couple of mechanics look at it (not really worked on it, just look) and they say contradicting things. Some say it's definitely the head gasket, others say it definitely CAN'T be the gasket, that it must be the block that's cracked. Others say it needs an overhaul, and yet others say I need a new engine. Has anyone seen this? It drops quarts of 'chocolate milk' from the air filter. :jaw:

Thanks!

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Sponsors (?)

Either way the car's engine will need to be torn apart.
Fact 1- the oil mixed with some liquid.
Fact 2- thats not good.
Fact 3- the engine will need to be flushed and dried.
Fact 4- might as well pull the engine.
Fact 5- pulling the engine will allow you to do some maintenance that would other wise be a pain if it were still in the car, speaking in the manner that your engine block is not cracked.

Question, how did or why did your engine end up with more water then anti-freeze?

When water freezes it expands (which is why icebergs and icecubes float: they expand to a greater volume than the equivalent liquid water by mass...)

When it expands it does so with amazing force. Witness the way roads heave and asphalt and concrete cracks in winter weather.

Iron engine blocks are pretty strong but are nothing when facing the force of freezing water in the coolant jackets. My guess is that you've literally broken the engine by allowing the coolant to freeze in it.

^what he said^

and if ur lucky. it's just a head or intake gasket. and not a cracked block,

as far as the 'chocolate milk' it's normal when you have coolant. leaking in the black.
mixing with oil. basically it's overfilling the oil. and can only escape through the air cleaner.

Just as an FYI: If you do ever freeze your block, stop for a minute.
PUSH the car into a garage. Let the engine slowly warm up by heating it with something like a drop light. Allow it to thaw out for about 3 days before you attempt to start it.
Get the garage temp above freezing. Be patient.