Choosing torque converter

crane550

Sep 17, 2007
Hi,

I am at the point where I need to get a torque converter for my build. Here are my specs:

351c 4V
Comp Cams 290H
Long tube headers
C4 26 spline

Anyways, I found out that my flexplate does not fit the torque converter that I already have. It seem that my flexplate is 9.375 spaced, and the converter I have is around 11.5-ish. Anyways, I could get a new flexplate to accommodate the converter I already have, but there is a good chance that i will be unhappy with the stall in it. I don't know what the current stall is, but it is probably nothing special. From what I am hearing I will need a higher 3000 stall or so.

I looked up new converters, and the only ones that will bolt up to my 9.375" spaced flexplate are around $525. If I go with the same specs (from Summit Racing) and get a new flexplate ($40 ebay) to match with a 10.5" bolt spacing I can get one about half the price. Seems like that is the way to go.

But then..... I talked to a local hot rod shop. They say do NOT get anything from Summit, their converters are crap, and let him build one for me for $530. No new flexplate required.

SO..... things to think about. Will I notice a difference between a $250 converter 3000 stall converter from Summit vs. a custom one?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

This cam?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-32-541-8/overview/make/ford
There are other places besides summit, keep on doing your shopping. When I put this cam: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-35-246-3/overview/make/ford
in my 69/351W, the car was actually slower, until I put in the 3500 stall TC, and the 3.89 rear gear. It really cam alive after that! It seems that my TC, installed, was around 400 from a local shop in Boise, Id. about 5 years ago..With that much cam, you absolutely need a new TC.
What gear are you running in the rear?

i agree with woodsnake, the cam you selected needs at least a 2500 stall speed converter, 3000 is better. the B&M super holeshot converter should get you where you want to be if this is a street/strip engine.

Yea it seems pretty obvious at this point I need a higher stall. 3000 seems to be a pretty good bet. My question is how is the quality of the summit cams, such as the B&M and such. The guy trying to sell me one says they are no good. At the same time I realize he is trying to sell me something more expensive.