clean your maf NOW *pics*

reject5.0

Jul 25, 2005
Round Rock, TX
I know its been discussed 1000000's of times, but I know I never really payed much attention. I was sitting around today with nothing to do, so I decided to try and clean it. I went to the parts store and bought some tamper proof torx bits and some seafoam (love that stuff)

Anyways, here are a couple pics. I was suprised how much dirt came off. I haven't drivin the car yet, but I will later. Before, it would start to ping when the engine was warm and I gave it some throttle. Hopefully this will solve that.

The first pic is of the little wires (after I cleaned em). Ive always heard about em, but ive never seen a pic. Im sure there are others that havn't seen inside the maf yet either. The next pic is the Q tips I used. Look at the dirt!:nonono:

maf%201.jpg

maf%202.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Ive heard im supposed to use every kind of cleaner under the sun. Ive always had good luck with seafoam, so I used it.

I just drove the car. I was amazed how much smoother it pulled. I can now waste the puny 16" tires from a standing start. Hey, thats a big accomplishment for a stock aode car!

reject5.0 said:
Ive heard im supposed to use every kind of cleaner under the sun. Ive always had good luck with seafoam, so I used it.

I just drove the car. I was amazed how much smoother it pulled. I can now waste the puny 16" tires from a standing start. Hey, thats a big accomplishment for a stock aode car!

No, most of the time you want to use some sort of electrical cleaner. That way you don't run the risk of messing up the wires. But I used carb cleaner and it worked just fine too, lol. Glad to hear the stang runs smoother. It's amazing how much those 2 little wires effect the performance of a car!

I used electrical contact cleaner in a spray can.It leaves no residue.
Carb cleaner usually contains a lubricant that stays behind...probably not the best choice,anyways after cleaning mine,my gas mileage improved quite a bit.