cleaning MAF sensor

What do you use to clean your MAF sensor? I think mine has become tarnished with debris and isn't functioning properly. I did take a look at it and was going to clean with alcohol on a q-tip but then decided it looked to delicate and may be damaged if I did that.

• Sponsors (?)

I think that's the way you are supposed to clean it. Just be very very gentle. Maybe some others with experience can tell ya exatly how to do it. I can tell you from experience ... don't spray it with carb cleaner! I F'd mine all up when I did that. :nonono:

95GTeee said:
I think that's the way you are supposed to clean it. Just be very very gentle. Maybe some others with experience can tell ya exatly how to do it. I can tell you from experience ... don't spray it with carb cleaner! I F'd mine all up when I did that. :nonono:

Haha good to know that was one of the first things I was gonna do when I picked up my car. Spray it with some good ole b12 o well have to be more gentle I guess...

Second that. I used electrical parts cleaner from Advance Auto.

Basically, I took apart the MAF so that I could see the two wires through the screen. First, I cleaned the screen by rubbing a couple q-tips over it (very black and dirty) and then I put a towel underneath the MAF and sprayed the cleaner through the screen and onto the wires so that the overspray would go on the towel. Worked just fine and quick too.

95GTeee said:
what kind did you use? i used carb cleaner on mine and its still functioning well...doesnt ping like it did before

It was some generic kind ... yellow and black with the red straw. I sprayed it quite a bit due to the black soot staying on there. I don't know what happened. I would use electrical parts cleaner next time. I dunno!