Fox Cleaning the black paint from a steering rack

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Any secrets here to clean the black paint off a rack? I have used paint remover in the past ( never on a steering rack) but I was wondering if anyone here had some other ideas? About half the black paint has come off and I think the rest would come off fairly easy without resorting to a real caustic remover.
Any help here?

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe some wire wheel attachments on a Dremel or drill.
I feel like I’m the world leader in wire wheel work LOL... did you see my pics in my Progress Thread of the underside of my Fox? I’ve spent so much time under there with the various size wire wheels - and I will not miss the days once I’m done

Reactions: 1 user
Dremel or a wire wheel would be too harsh on the aluminum... I was thinking more like some Lacquer thinner and a Mr clean pad would take it off without any marks to the aluminum body?

I feel like I’m the world leader in wire wheel work LOL... did you see my pics in my Progress Thread of the underside of my Fox? I’ve spent so much time under there with the various size wire wheels - and I will not miss the days once I’m done
The picture of your k-member inspired me to remove mine, clean and paint it. You’ve done nice work for sure.
At this stage, it was easier for me to remove it. The less I have to lay on my back on the concrete floor, the better!

That would probably work. Is the rack still in the car?
No its off the car. Its a 03 rack upgrade for my 83.. I am getting ready to send to turn one for rebuild.. Another out of control project.. I purchased new stainless lines for it, new bellows and the fox inner tie rods, which Turn One will install, but they do not clean up the outside or paint the housing..

No. Are you planning on painting or using it natural?

You could also try a stripper like "Citristrip". Lather the rack down, wrap it in a trash bag and let it sit for a few hours. Then pressure wash the paint off.

A few ways to go about this.

No. Are you planning on painting or using it natural?

You could also try a stripper like "Citristrip". Lather the rack down, wrap it in a trash bag and let it sit for a few hours. Then pressure wash the paint off.

A few ways to go about this.
I was thinking natural.. Half the black paint is gone so it looks a bit ratty.... After reading your post, I could paint it the "cast grey" color.... Have a can of that..

That's what I did with mine

1618247674895.png

Reactions: 1 user
Airplane Stripper wins because of the name and because it works, unless California neutered it. If you are having the assembly rebuilt, then the rubber boots are not the concern I figured they were at the start of the thread. Adequate ventilation and PPE are required, but the right PPE and ventilation are required for a wire wheel.
Either way, follow the motto of Nike.

Here is a list of what is out there this year.
The Klean Strip I used to use on furniture and parts like intake manifolds at least used to have a chemical in it that would make your skin feel like it was cold burning after it ate through the second layer of HD rubber gloves. The Methelene chloride vapors can kill in enclosed spaces. But it works well. I have not tried the citrus stuff yet, but another car group I’m in has demos of it working successfully.

UPDATE:..... I took some red scotch brite and some regular old paint thinner and the paint came off pretty easy.. This is a Junkyard rack I bought a month or so ago from an 03, to go in my 83.. It had a rebuild sticker on it and was leaking fluid under the boots......
I think I will buy some of that spray citronella and give it a try on the nooks and crannies.....

Reactions: 1 users
I finished up with some Klean strip that worked really well with some red scotchbrite and a toothbrush... I like the natural aluminum look with a black K member .. I did not spend any time on the lines as I purchased some new ones.. Now off to the rebuild shop with new fox inner tie rods and bellows..
DSCF0745.JPG
DSCF0744.JPG

Reactions: 1 users