Cleaning the IAC & MAF questions

04gtdrop

Jun 10, 2005
Sac, CA
Ok, so I am having idle problems like some other people.

So I called ford and they want 102.00 bucks for a new IAC! :notnice:

Soooo I was thinking that maybe I cold try and clean my IAC and MAF and that maybe that would fix the problem and save me some cash.... :rolleyes:

So can anyone tell me how to clean the MAF and IAC? what should I use and how should I go about it? anything to worry about or avoid?

Also, if i clean the maf do i need to disconnect the batt? :shrug:

I am also going to use some seafoam on her this weekend before I change the oil. :hail2:

:SNSign: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You should disconnect the battery simply for the reason that it never hurts to reset the PCM especially after the MAF cleaning.

Use carb cleaner on the IAC, do not let it run down into the solenoid area.

Use quick drying electrical contact cleaner on the MAF. Be extremely careful with it, it is even more expensive than the IAC. http://www.bullittarchive.com/1007.htm

you can get a new IAC at autozone for like 30 bucks I think. The MAFs gonna hurt though.

So just clean em, but be careful or you're buying a new one.

Kilgore Trout said:
You should disconnect the battery simply for the reason that it never hurts to reset the PCM especially after the MAF cleaning.

Use carb cleaner on the IAC, do not let it run down into the solenoid area.

Use quick drying electrical contact cleaner on the MAF. Be extremely careful with it, it is even more expensive than the IAC. http://www.bullittarchive.com/1007.htm

Good infos.

IAC Cleaning

When I used to work a Ford as a tech we used a Ford product called Spray Carburetor/ tune- up cleaner. This stuff is great for cleaning Throttle bodys and the IAC valve and does not damage the plastic intake like the others do, read the fine print on the others. We used to clean the throttle body and the clean the IAC and run the rest off the can through the car, no special tools needed and you will be surprised with the improvement from the car.

I have tried to use other products and have had no luck with them like I have had with the Ford stuff.

This is the part # PM-2 Fords internal reference # IS 159419

I just purchased a 02 Auto GT and it had this same problem with the IAC. I removed it and sprayed this stuff repeatedly in it and even let it soak with a rag plugging the vacum port and it idles just as good as new.

This is just my way of not having to buy a new valve, paying $6.00 for the cleaner is cheaper than a 60.00 IAC:jaw:

Sorry for the long winded explanation.
Ram

Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot this weekend, the MAF cleaning is making me a little nervous....that thing is expensive.

Ram, thanks for the info dude, i'll give that stuff a try. When i go to ford to buy it, what do i ask for? just give them the part number or what?

And since i have a predator tune, when i un plug the batt this will re set my computer right?

so i will have to re install the tune from my predator?

thanks again guys

Unless you severly overoiled an oiled type air filter, there should never be a need to clean a MAF.

The IAB can be cleaned out with brake clean or carb cleaner, then blasted with air to dry it out and knock away any debris that was knocked loose by the cleaner.

the TB and EGR valve should also be done while you're there if you're trying to eliminate driveability issues.

Never try to clean the TB on 99+, it has a sludge resistant coating which will be damaged by any cleaning attempt. If you try to clean it you will just make it get dirty (ironically).

Cleaner

04 drop top, ask for the Ford carb- throttle body cleaner, it's in a spray can with a white and red label, you can also ask with that part #. The dealerships around here use it allot. If your throttle body has the sticker on the top of it that reads this has a special coating just spray it on a rag and clean away. I have used this product for about 8 years now with no bad luck.

Fords sludge resitant coating sucks by the way. Anyone ever looked inside your throttle body?

Has anyone used an oil seperator similar to the Steeda one, I have one on my other car and it helps, you will be suprised how much oil it accumilates over the time of a oil change. This is some of the reasons why we have problems with the IAC, it's clogged with oil gum. I will be installing a seperator this weekend.

Ram