clicking after ATF change help plz

PancakeOfDoom

Nov 20, 2008
ok, searched and couldn't find anything. this is after adding 4 quarts of fluid to the tranny after dropping the pan and cleaning it out (followed my haynes manual verbatim). i read after the fact of course, that most only had to add 3 quarts.

replaced my tranny fluid, filter, and gasket yesterday. lil scared cuz i hadn't done it before, it was clunky getting into gears, so i left it alone for the night. hopped in this morning and it shifts like a dream. now for the bad parts:

noticeable clicking while driving next to cars/curbs, sounds like metal caught in the tire, or a speedy exhaust leak. checked the tire, and the exhaust wasn't leaking before hand..., so i blame the tranny.

then, after the first drive i popped the hood to check the fluid level and it was smokin up pretty good (white). thought it was fluid splashed all over the cats and headers just burning off, checked after another drive and i seem to be good, so i think it was just burning off.

sorry for the long post, just didn't wanna leave any info out. anybody have an idea of what the clicking may be?

next time i'm takin it in and havin somebody do it. never been more scared for my car

• Sponsors (?)

Does the clicking go with the vehicle speed? Or with the rotation of the tires? Or is it random clicking? Check that something isn't caught on the driveshaft or maybe a screw in a tire.I wouldn't worry about the smoke.Trans fluid has white smoke and a very noticeable odor.Doesn't smell like coolant or oil burning.Just check your pan every now and then to make sure you tightened it properly and have no leaks (do not over tighten pan bolts and use new gasket). Now,if you did overfill it by one quart,the trans would most likely spit some of the excess out the overflow port which would result in fluid getting all over the exhaust and the bottom of your floor pan.The trans also would not shift properly.So by the sounds of things,you did right.

What type of trans fluid did you use specifically? And what year is your Stang?

I wouldn't worry about this.There is nothing scary about changing trans fluid.The more you do your own car repairs/maintainance,the easier it becomes and the more you know.And also the more confident you become of doing your own jobs.Don't forget you save a huge chunk of change by not having to pay outrageous labor charges and god knows what else.And then...theres the confidence of knowing you did it..and did it correctly.You make mistakes ...and you learn.Theres always Stangnet and/or friends an family members.Don't let some tranny job or any other for that matter discourage you.

thanks for the reply, i had a bunch at allfordmustangs, but no help quite yet.

no more smoke, kinda figured it had something to do with the copious amounts of fluid i spilled on my cats while removing the pan, and the small bit i dumped on the headers by accident (kinda a weird angle for a small funnel, can't tip the bottle quite right).

the clicking matches the speed of the car, so really i mean it could be following tire rotation, or it could be tranny rotation for all i know. i'll re-inspect for a nail in the tire, but it doesn't quite sound like a screw/nail. and i've had my fair share.

i used mercon V, and it is 2001. it had a full flush when i got the car at 45k miles. i noticed when i checked the fluid just now i finally got a nice reading... it was bout 1/3 of the way up on the HOT marker when the tranny was COLD, so it is obviously overfilled. i won't have the time to jack the car up again and drain some out until wednesday (i can never give the car enough time to cool down before i need to drive again until some wednesdays).

i was thinking, and tell me if this is a horrible idea, of just putting a small length of 1/8in plastic tubing down the fill hole and trying to siphon a pint out.

also, i hadn't heard of the overfill valve before, i thought overfilling could cause severe damage to the tranny, so why the big fuss if it just gets spilled out?

from now on ima stick to doin my oil and maybe some other odd jobs. my mechanic can keep tranny money

ok, so the smoke is back, turns out i gotta prop the hood while the car is off for bout 30 seconds then it all comes pluming out. i'm assuming though that because the fluid dropped a lil, and i have no leaks, that it is still spurting out the overflow port.

no nail in the tire or anything caught on the shaft, i'm stumped. still shifting properly