Clicking/chirping coming from engine bay, help!

Zippeh

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2002
North New Jersey
Took the Cobra out of its winter slumber this past week, and it sounds like it's in pain :(

It drove just fine down to the mechanic and back to repair a blown fuse, but today I went to take it out for a cruise and the engine bay is making a really loud clicking / chirping noise at 1800+ RPMS.

Vehicle is running fine from what I can tell, no decline in performance or bucking of any sort, but that noise is really loud.

Any ideas?

It's times like these that I wish I was more mechanically gifted :p

• Sponsors (?)

Going to try it out now, I'll be back soon with an update.

Could be a pulley that needs lube.

You went to the mechanic for a blown fuse??

I mainly brought it to my cousins shop to de winter my baby, change the fluids and the such, but yes I did have him change my fuse while I was there :rlaugh: he's too nice to me, just took care of everything I needed in one go :nice:

-Zip

So it was the belt chirping? If so there's possibly that one or more pulleys might be slightly out of alignment. Or, it could just be that the belt is getting a little old and needs to be changed.

I had a very similar noise once, and it drove me crazy as I could not figure out what it was. As it turned out, my battery box was not tightened down all the way, and was moving around and scraping against something in the engine bay. I'm glad you were able to figure out what it was; I'm just putting this out there as general knowledge with the hope that it may help someone who searches for "clicking / chirping coming from engine bay".

So it was the belt chirping? If so there's possibly that one or more pulleys might be slightly out of alignment. Or, it could just be that the belt is getting a little old and needs to be changed.

Well, I counted my chickens before they were hatched. Turns out a day of heavy driving and as I was on my way home at night the clicking noise started back up again. While listening in the engine bay it does sound like it's coming from the passenger side but lubricating it only temporarily silences it. I'll spend the day trying to narrow it down better for you all now that I have some free time, instead of giving you a vague description.

Wish me luck :nice:

Fords idler pullies on the 4.6L and 5.4L engines go bad. We get requests for them at my work, but I just tell the people to buy them new. Last time I replaced one on my friends 97 Cobra, it cost him 16 dollars. A new belt with it might be a good idea too.