Clicking noise when trying to start car

xherdlr

May 19, 2003
Hendersonville,Nc
Visit site
I went to start my car and went throught the usual ritual of starting and dying 3 times until it stays running. This time after the second time the selinoid just clicked. I have full power from the battery. I have one of the button wires that connects to the selinoid and the battery. I tried this and still just a clicking noise...Is my starter bad or the selinoid? What other test can I do? I

Kelly

• Sponsors(?)

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
No Crank checklist for 5.0 Mustangs

Since some of the tests will bypass the safety interlocks, make sure that the car is in neutral and the parking brake is set. Becoming a pancake isn’t part of the repair process…

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order. The clamp on with 2 bolts battery terminal ends are a know problem causer. Corrosion gets in the clamped joint and works its way up the wire under the insulation. Avoid them like the plague...

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection while trying to start the car: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.

See Automotive Test Tools for help for help troubleshooting voltage drops across connections and components. .

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

4.) Then pull the small push on connector (small red/blue wire) off the starter solenoid (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

5.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then you have wiring problems.

Typical start circuit...
Diagram courtesy of Tmoss &Stang&2birds

See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars
See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars.
See AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year for 94-98 model Mustangs

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) Pull the starter and take it to AutoZone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Mustang or upgraded high torque mini starter.

FKE SNK

Jan 18, 2009
Lay a screwdriver across the solenoid posts on your driver side inner fender. That will tell you

Black1987Stang

Aug 22, 2004
Jersey Shore
or just pop off that little push on wire and put juice to that little stud and if it clicks and stays and the starter doesn't go it's prob shot, or you got a bad connection or cable to the starter.

Handymansrdy

Feb 5, 2020
Alabama
I recently purchased an 06 4.0 convertible. It started perfect for bit. Then all the sudden after a short run it would make a click sound and nothing. Then after sitting a while it would crank over. Well this morning I stared it to warm up realized i left my wallet. Shut it off ran in got my wallet came out and tried to start and click. I tracked the source of the clicking to under the glove box in a panel . turns out it was the ecm i puled it put it checked connections and put it back . it cranked right up. Next day same thing except this time i just wiggled the ecm and it turned over. Replacing the ecm tomorrow. I am sure this is not an isolated case judging by this thread.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
This is a 5.0 tech thread from 2009.
There is a date stamp in the left top corner of the posts.
Besides that the electronics on a 06 4.0 will be totally different, I will tell ya to check all the cable connections at the battery too.

Handymansrdy

Feb 5, 2020
Alabama
This is a 5.0 tech thread from 2009.
There is a date stamp in the left top corner of the posts.
Besides that the electronics on a 06 4.0 will be totally different, I will tell ya to check all the cable connections at the battery too.
Sry. I got it figured out ! . Battery connections.. Ive owned over 14 mustangs in my life and own 4 still. . Just cause i asked in the wrong place dont mean you need to be retentive..

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Sry. I got it figured out ! . Battery connections.. Ive owned over 14 mustangs in my life and own 4 still. . Just cause i asked in the wrong place dont mean you need to be retentive..
I'm not being 'retentive', it's my job.
And dirty/loose connections are a common problem with all vehicles.
Your welcome.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
robertdeuce clicking noise when trying to start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
Jughead Just get a clicking noise when I try to start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
slowhatch82 clicking noise when trying to start, suggestions please Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 17
L Engine Constant ticking/clicking noise 1989 Mustsng GT Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
M 2006 Mustang GT clicking noise from front end 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
Nick V Brakes Click When Press And Grinding Feeling? No Noise... 2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech 0
lil03v6mustang Clicking Noise By Front Brakes 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
BGstang Clicking Noise When Turning SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
0 Fan turns on with key on in cold weather, clicking noises, occasional crank but no start....CCRM? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
Rasikajay Weird clicking noise coming from dash SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
streetstang67 Ticking / Clicking noise from top/back of engine 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 10
M Grinding/Clicking Noise Coming From Front End SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 11
S v6 clicking noise SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 6
S Loud Clicking Noise in 1st and 2nd Gear SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
L clicking noise when i turn in neutral! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
katshot Clicking/ticking noise when backing up? SVT Tech Forum 1
S New BBK throttle body makes a clicking noise? Help SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
Seraphitia102 Front caliper "clicking" noise when parking brake is up SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
96GT281 Clicking Noise??? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 10
X Help With Clicking Noise? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 25
W Weird Clicking noise when i turn on a.c. SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
supastang03 clicking noise while turning.. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
S Clicking noise from front wheels Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
0 IDLE CLICKING NOISE SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
0 IDLE CLICKING NOISE HELP SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
0 IDLE CLICKING NOISE 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
The Green GT Clicking noise from front passenger wheel... 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
malik641 Front end Click / Pop noise Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
N Steering clicking noise SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 8
V. Barbarino Clicking noise when turning left, help asap! 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 0
Adam95GT Click/pop noise from Back of car.... 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
T pop/click noise from serpentine belt 02 GT Auto SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
S Rear Wheels Noise (Clicking) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
9 Speedo making a clicking noise... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
MT1083 A click noise when braking... SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
0 Clicking noise from wheel or under-car area? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 5
S Weird clicking noise coming from dash 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 11
Milenko Clicking noise when clutch is all the way out? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 12
A Blown Strut? Clicking noises.... SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
spdfrkaby Clicking noise coming from front wheel when moving SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 30
B Clicking noise? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
W Weird clicking noise SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
Black Stang 97 Clicking noise? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
stang2b Clicking noise? Please Help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
1986LX2002 Popping/Clicking noise from clutch pedal Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
J 96 Mustang GT Clicking noise SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
S Weird Clicking noise SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
SloMoFo strange clicking noise..help please Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
Z Clicking noise under acceleration, driveshaft problems? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
Z Clicking noise under acceleration, driveshaft problems? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 11