Car popping car starts up but wants to die if I don’t hold pedal down

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Ok I got to this point back to square 1. Rundown. I had car driving good but my driveshaft snapped on hiway (in October) I had my trans rebuilt while my car was down. I had removed engine and trans cuz I’m running long tube headers so I decided to just pull the whole thing out. One thing I did change was I bought these holly efi sniper valve covers. I was running the ford racing valve covers both had the breathers. I’ve Ben running 30 lb injectors as well. I turned car on and it was driving super ragged. Running very lean on hiway like in the 19s the only time it was running at 14 aft was when I let off the gas pedal. I was told to run smaller injectors. I have a new set of 19s from lmr. Installed it with a stock maf sensor. Now my car is turns on worse. It was popping clicking clacking. I have my timing in right position I have it set at 14 (like always) but something isn’t right. I had code 85 and 54. I just installed new sensor. O might I add when I had car on I had a check engine light. I had gotten a code 15 but I think it’s cuz I keep disconnecting the battery.I just changed out he act sensor and I noticed I had fuel in between the intake. Plugs are black(they were white) they had carbon on them. Can it be because I changed the valve covers? I’m assuming I should be running these because I have efi but seems like the car liked the ones with breathers or can it be something else. O the act sensor smelled like fuel. I also just ordered a new set of spark plug wires. I just changed out several things in the past 2 weeks. Fuel filter,155 Waldron fp, fuel relay, spark plugs, ect, ignition switch. I know distubtor is good. I checked ecu cuz of the cel light with the code 15 and 54. The Ecu checks out. I tested wires from sti bk/white wire to battery ground 1.4 ohms, from sti red white wire to ground (+ disconnected) got 1.1 ohms. With battery connection constant 12 bolts from pin 1 to battery ground.blk /white wire to pin 46 (no ecu connected ) 1.1 to 1.4 ohms. On ecu I checked from pin 46 to pins 40 & 60 I got 0.6 ohms.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Sponsors (?)

I just went out into the garage and looked at the distributor on the Coupe and it is not moved that far clockwise and mine is set at 10 deg before TDC. Even if I had mine at 14 degrees Before TDC the #1 plug will not move as far clockwise as yours is. #1 on mine is right at the left front stud nut on the upper intake. I am just wondering if you do not have the timing off a tooth one way or the other. If you are dead sure you have it stabbed right then ignore all this as I may be seeing things incorrectly.

Reactions: 1 user
I just went out into the garage and looked at the distributor on the Coupe and it is not moved that far clockwise and mine is set at 10 deg before TDC. Even if I had mine at 14 degrees Before TDC the #1 plug will not move as far clockwise as yours is. #1 on mine is right at the left front stud nut on the upper intake. I am just wondering if you do not have the timing off a tooth one way or the other. If you are dead sure you have it stabbed right then ignore all this as I may be seeing things incorrectly.
Hmmm can I see a pic of yours just in case.

I restabbed the distributor now I’m getting codes 51c, 53 c ,54 c,35 c,96c and 85 wasent getting these now I am. I went with this kids video on stabbing distributor and I did it the way he set it. I have a tdc indicator and I was on compression stroke.Car fires right up but wants to die.I did have it at 20 btc for some reason so bumped it down. O wow now I’m starting to get discouraged big time with this car. Think my ecu ok?

View: https://youtu.be/wZN3oj7YgmA?si=FfVX9mH5y9SEhW_p

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 14
I disconnected the battery. I had already set the tps the other day at 1volt right now I Checked it and it was at 1.07 volts. I have my other a9l from my other car I will try it in a bit. It’s low power and wants to die. I just got new fuel pump last week along with relay, filter and I threw in some new injectors off my other car. O and a new fuel pressure regulator from orillys standard brand same thing one sells so not sure why the code 96 all of a sudden. O and I just swapped the act sensor not sure why that’s having an issue I will Cheadle voltage on that one in a bit to. O my afr at idel it’s also low it zeros out with the 4 - - - -

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    583.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I installed original ecu now I get 85,10,11 I guess when I let go of the gas I that’s when the codes come out cuz it starts to die.Guys also remember that I’m getting raw fuel in between the upper and lower intake. I will start at the beginning of the surging cheaklist along with crank no start just in case. I need the car for work getting tired of reliying on people plus I might have to start taking bus to work .

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: