Clock and radio won't shut off even with key out ?

dominic94gt

Nov 4, 2008
Chicago
Hello , my clock on the dash and aftermarket radio won't shut off even with the key out of the ingition?
I even put in a new steering cloumn in it and still wont shut them off.

I have had this car at my local shop three time's and alot of money later and still the same. Please any help would be great at this point because I'm almost ready to just give up on this thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

id check the ignition switch and the lock cyl. connecting rod... I actualy just fixxed a friends t-bird that wouldnt turn off lol... the rod snapped and would only turn the car on but not off... sometimes it would go to just the on position... maybe this is what your experiencing???

If you move the lock cylinder a little, do the clock and stereo turn off?

Both circuits are part of the accessory lock position (the one where you turn the key towards you - like listening to music in a parking lot). Another circuit that's hot in that position is power windows. If yours work with the key off, this is something I'd really check.

Well it cant be the ignition or the anything in the steering column because when I took the car to my local shop they thought the same thing and first they tryed just a new ignition cylinder and that did'nt work so then they just put a whole new steering column in and still the same thing when I turn off the car and pull the key out of the ignition and the radio and clock are still on so you can figure each time I go to start the car it's dead.
P.S. On my third battery in just 2 months, even kill my new yellow top from jump starting it to move it around.

The ignition switch is different than the lock cylinder. The replacement of the column doesnt rule out bad body harness wiring.

A lot of money can be spent swapping out parts when doing some diagnostics can help narrow things down, saving time and money.

Is the ignition switch inside off the steering column? If so then when the new column was put in it still does it so that means even the new ignition switch is bad too ? As this is why I just had themput a whole new steering column in after they tryed the new ignition cylinder and that did'nt work also.

power

hey just some dumb questions...1-did it do this before installing new radio? 2-if wired wrong have you tryed moving the headlite dimmer switch to see if it shuts off?...as someone else has stated try pulling fuses one at a time and see whats powering the clock/radio

hey just some dumb questions...1-did it do this before installing new radio? 2-if wired wrong have you tryed moving the headlite dimmer switch to see if it shuts off?...as someone else has stated try pulling fuses one at a time and see whats powering the clock/radio

Ive done this.... if it started with when you put in the radio... thats where your issue more then likely is