Clock spring install

whyask

Apr 4, 2005
Sacramento
well since I have the car dismantel'd (kinda) due to the clutch cable issue, why not fix the annoying air bag light. SO hears the deal, NO HORN, NO CRUISE CONTROL... since i replaced the steering shaft thats the only thing I can think off.... HOW DO I TAKE APART the old clock spring without the airbag going off in my face ?

-Justin

• Sponsors (?)

Not really.. I did it myself not to long ago and if you just take your time and look at what your doing, should go just fine.. It sucks w/out a horn, a stupid air bag light, and cruiz control not working.. Just make sure you disconnect your battery as said before.
If you have any questions pm me....:nice:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm trying to install mine atm. I have the battery disconnected but my Haynes manual is at school...how the heck do i get the wheel off?

Disconnect battery
Take covers off of column
Take wheel off of column
The clock spring should pull right off. There are directions on how to reset the thing. You turn it one way, then back the other.
Reassemble and hook up bettery and see what happens. Check fuses also.

Screw the wheel puller....they are garbage!!! This is what I do.

IF YOU HAVE AIR: Loosen the bolt a little....hit the center shaft with the air hammer....the wheel will come forward after a couple hits..

IF YOU HAVE A BFH: (Big F-ing Hammer) Lossen the bolt. Brace your feet on the floor as far back as you can. Put your knees behind the wheel...pulling the wheel toward you with the knees. Hold an extension against the center shaft..and hit the top of that extension as hard as you can!! Some pop right away, some take some muscle. Jsut don't hit yourself in the face, hand or knee.

These both have worked for me.

Just try wiggling it.. it seems to work well too.. when you pull back to hard, its hard NOT smackin yourself in the face lol....
Oh and back to what Whyask said, I bought it from Mustangsalvageyard.com with some other stuff for like 60bucks or so.. its like $120+ from the Dealer..:notnice: