Paint and Body Closest Paint Match for 93 Opal?

SLOWBRA

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
NC
What is the closest spray paint to match the 93 Opal interior to use on the center console?

I've tried the NPD custom blended SEM Opal spray paint and it didn't come out well (see enclosed pictures). I found a fairly recent thread on here (https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/opal-grey.912302/) that suggested the NPD so I tried it. In that thread they also shared a video of someone using Presidio color SEM paint (which I've read is closer to SMOKE than it is Opal). That is my next spray paint to try unless someone has a better idea.

Now before someone chimes in by saying the OEM interior is old and has faded, etc. I will say this.... I have new TMI door panels that match the oem door panels well. The TMI door panels also match the OEM dash well. What doesn't match well is the console I painted with the NPD Opal SEM paint. I don't need it to be perfect, but right now the colors are too far off for me to live with.

Attachments

• Opal Paint Comparison.jpg
    Opal Paint Comparison.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Opal Paint Comparison 3.jpg
    Opal Paint Comparison 3.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Sponsors (?)

The LMR custom made paint has been spot on for me just sucks it’s only good for about 60 days so you need to buy it when you need and use it it in a timely matter

That is really good information. I read some of the reviews over there and it does seem to be pretty spot on. Is the paint that you tried the $24 aerosol paint or the larger package that they offer? I only really need to paint that console so don’t want to go over kill on quantity of paint

That is really good information. I read some of the reviews over there and it does seem to be pretty spot on. Is the paint that you tried the $24 aerosol paint or the larger package that they offer? I only really need to paint that console so don’t want to go over kill on quantity of paint
Yes I spent $50 on 2 cans and it was enough to do my dash, and knee bolster with about half a can left over. It’s well worth the money. One will do you entire console but you if you buy 2 you get free shipping which saves you $6-8 So may as well get 2. I’m sure there is some other stuff in your can touch up or knit pick lol. The paint may also last longer inside the house I made the mistake of leaving it in the garage thinking it was the same as normal spray paint but from last summer to this summer it didn’t make it and was very runny even after excessive shaking so I just ordered new.

Yes I spent $50 on 2 cans and it was enough to do my dash, and knee bolster with about half a can left over. It’s well worth the money. One will do you entire console but you if you buy 2 you get free shipping which saves you $6-8 So may as well get 2. I’m sure there is some other stuff in your can touch up or knit pick lol. The paint may also last longer inside the house I made the mistake of leaving it in the garage thinking it was the same as normal spray paint but from last summer to this summer it didn’t make it and was very runny even after excessive shaking so I just ordered new.
I wil say I didn’t care for that prep stuff that they sell maybe I’m just an idiot and used it wrong but I wouldn’t recommend the larger kit I would just order 2 of the paint

Thank you again. It’s good to hear a first hand review. Ordering the cans now :)

You can always have some mixed at a PPG distributor. You just need the interior code. I did this for my 93 project. They can put some in aerosol cans, you can also use a spray gun if it was a larger project. I used the spray gun since I was repainting the entire interior.

I bought the NPD stuff in opal.

It matches mine spot-on. I mean even paint and body guy can't spot the original panels vs the painted ones.

But my car sat in the garage it's entire life before I got it, so very little fade-except the top of the back seat and the package tray.

Presidio is nowhere close contrary to "the internet" saying it is. It might be if your original interior is faded and the owner a heavy smoker or something (tar stained) but mine, nowhere near original.

this is the problem with dying interior panels. You can't hardly do one panel because the original parts are 30+ years old now, and the newly painted panel will not match perfectly. So like me, on my '92 (Titanium), when I bought the cupholder-which by the way is the best mod on a fox body, period, I painted it with the 'correct' paint, to find out that it was close but not quite exact. Due to the age of the original parts, the original console was a bit off in comparison. So the correct way to handle it, pull the entire interior out and dye it all. And when you do this, budget for a heater core too if you haven't put one in recently as the dash should come out and be sprayed too. When done, and done properly and completely, the car looks and feels brand new again and when you plant your fannie in the seatie to go for a drive, you are proud to have a nice classic again. For titanium, even NPD's 'correct' color, is off. I used SEM "Ladera" (# 15713). It is as close as you can get unless you mix it to match your panels yourself.

SEM interior paint works well and wears well so long as you prep it correctly. Cut a corner, and it's going to peel and look horrible, and when this happens, it is VERY hard to repair it. Trust me from my experience. Took 5 cans to do the entire interior of mine (hatchback, coupes probably 4 is sufficient) and if you have the two-tone interior like I think most of the gray interiors are, also get a couple cans of Landau black, and about 5 cans of SEM Sand Free, as well as some GOOD plastic prep. Wash (scrub) the panels with a good cleaner and warm water. Then let them dry completely. Once you hit it with the wax & grease remover, make sure you handle the panels with gloves on so any greases or oils from your skin don't contaminate.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user