Clunk noise after Cobra brake swap

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
I put cobra calipers and brackets along with new 13 inch rotors from a 99 cobra on my Fox, I have 94 model spindles, the only thing on the swap that is not OEM ford stuff is the rotors and pads. The brakes work fine, no pull to either left or right. When I apply the brakes smoothly there is no problems or noises, but I noticed this when I was rolling into the garage, I can tap the brake and I get a clunking noise, I tried it several times, while rolling at a slow roll say 5 mph if i repeatedly tap the brakes I hear and feel the clunk every time. I have checked everything under the car, ball joints, rack pinion, etc, it is all tight, nothing is loose. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

I figured out the problem, with help of the trusty girlfriend, it is the calipers rotating forward and clunking, the springs on the pads look like they may need replaced, I am going to go by ford dealer and get some, should have me fixed I hope, on the bright side, I know all the other parts are in good working order

Grab each fromt caliper and try to move them along the rotors path. They shouldn't move because the pads have clips on the downward side that put tension towards the top. On aftermarket pads, these are sometimes missing causing the caliper to sit loose on the intermediate brackets.

Part #10

cobra_caliper_diagram.jpg

I'd replace them the.

With my brakes, if you pull the pin out, the tension of the rattle springs actually begins to push the caliper out. To reinsert the pin, I need to press the caliper down and then slide the pin in. Quite a bit of tension on them

With mine, I can take out the pin and the caliper stays where it is, I can pull the caliper up out and with minimal effort pushing down to replace the pin, I do not figure it can hurt, my parts came from a 99 cobra with 150K + miles on it

it is my calipers moving, each side does it, I ordered some new stainless steel clips to go on the pads, I have not had the chance to install them yet. The clips are about the only thing I can see that would be causing it.

:shrug: