Clunk, Squeak, and Shake after New Rear End and Shocks

01Stang65

Jan 19, 2017
A month ago I finished up a rear end swap on my 01 GT. Immediately I noticed a shake when letting out the clutch from a dead stop in 1st or Reverse. Also as the car started rolling there was a clunking sound. Almost like something snapping into place. Originally I thought U-joint... but after getting under the car and playing with the drive shaft there isn't any real movement there. I guess my next option would be bushings. Sometimes when the car shakes there is also a squeak or chirp from the rear end as well.

When the rear end was out I checked for side to side play in all the control arms and didn't find any to my knowledge. Is this always a reliable test for bushings? Previous owner had put bbk lower arms on there. I am not sure if the uppers are factory or not. I replaced the differential bushings for the upper control arms.

I am at the point now where it might be best to start replacing stuff but that can really get expensive. I might start with a steeda upper and lower kit. Maybe then move onto brakes to see if something is loose there? I am pretty stumped.

• Sponsors (?)

How much did you inspect before you put the rear end in the car? Did you insure the clutch pack was in good condition? Are the bearings good? i.e. pinion/carrier Did you put in limited slip lube or additive? A lot of questions, otherwise it's a guessing game.