Drivetrain Clutch adjustment??

Scott7512

May 19, 2015
Branchland WV
Clutch, adjustable clutch cable, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, firewall adjuster and quadrant all less than 2 years old.
Here what has happened a few times.
After taking a long drive of at least 1 1/2 hours with the shifting working great, it gets to the point I can barely get the trans in any gear. It usually happens just when I get to the entrance to a car show or hit heavy traffic at a tourist town.
I fight through it to my destination and shut it off. When I start off again later everything is great. It has never happened on short trips.
Is my clutch a little out of adjustment? Maybe not completely disengaging when hot and making selecting gears tough?

• Sponsors (?)

I had that happen as well as the pedal would vibrate badly when I pushed it in. I ended up replacing everything since I was there.

The flywheel was severely overheated and had hard spots all over it, the clutch diaphragm spring was weak and some of the fingers were bent, the friction plate was warped, and the input shaft bearing retainer was severely grooved and worn out. This was an original clutch assembly.

I replaced all the parts with a McLeod street clutch, a new cast flywheel, and a steel bearing retainer. Obviously the throwing bearing and pilot bearing were replaced as well as the rear main seal. I also shimmed the front transmission bearing to get the preload right and changed the transmission oil to Royal Purple SynchroMax.

As I stated before, I have already changed all of those parts.
This only happens after a long drive. After the car sets a while it works great again.
I tightened the adjuster a little bit but have not taken a long drive to see if it helped.

You didn't list the bearing retainer for the input shaft as being replaced. And my car would do it on long trips too but it would be fine after it cooled down as well. My clutch was clearly slipping even though I couldn't notice it.

It's possible. If I remember correctly, the workshop manual for my car stated the throwout bearing should be resting against the diaphragm spring when your foot is off the pedal. No tension on it, just resting. It seems to me like the throw out bearing would wear prematurely but that's how I set mine up and it works great now.