Clutch and brake pedals unequal

hipobuzz

Jul 22, 2007
:flag:
I am converting a '67 auto to a T-5. The brake pedal I bought from Modern Driveline is 2.5 in. longer than the clutch pedal I bought from Chocostang. I plan to call both tomorrow but maybe somebody knows the answer to the mystery. The brake pedal is 16 in. from the center of the shaft to the bottom of the pedal. The clutch is 13.5 in.
Also I have bought a needle-bearing set up for the pedal support. It has arrived and looks totally trick but I can't figure out how to remove the pot metal bushings from the pedal support.
Help.
Hipobuzz

• Sponsors (?)

I just pounded the pot metal bushings out with a hammer on mine...this is on a 64-66...don't know if they are the same material as yours....on your other post about headers (hedders) clearing the MD cable....I can't believe that Bruce and the guys don't know what headers will clear..odd

Talked to Dan Chockley (Sp?) at Chocostang. They provided the brake pedal. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this, but the power-assist brake pedal IS longer by 2.5 in. It does not use the same shaft as the clutch. It pivots on a 7/16th bolt that goes thru a hole high on the pedal support, near the firewall. Apparently, this reduces the mechanical advantage to the power booster. I assembled it this morning and now the pedals are even. Thanks to Dan.
I used a cut-off wheel to trim the bushing as close to the pedal support as I could. Then (in a vise) I hammered a big screwdriver into the space between the flange (inside the support) and levered out the bushing. No apparent damage to the pedal support. The Modern Driveline bearing carriers work beautifully.