clutch install gone terribly wrong

lmarinukjr

Oct 22, 2005
ok i have a 89 coupe i put the king cobra clutch kit in i had a ton of trouble putting the tranny back in i put a mac h pipe in with flowmaster cat back.new throw out bearing. i now have a knocking noise coming from my bell housing im going to pull it a part this weekend what would i be looking for?

• Sponsors (?)

i did that everything seems to be in good working order. the clutch disingauges and ingauges but its really noisey its a new kit the only thing i can think of is the preasure plate not being torqued down evenly but it makes the noise all the time its just quieter with the clutch depressed

I am with Kevin. Also, how much cable slack is there? If the cable is very slack, the TOB could be slopping around and making some nice noises. Simply tightening the cable to proper spec can remove said noise.

Good luck.

EDIT: The post above mine was not there when I started.

lmarinukjr said:
i did that everything seems to be in good working order. the clutch disingauges and ingauges but its really noisey its a new kit the only thing i can think of is the preasure plate not being torqued down evenly but it makes the noise all the time its just quieter with the clutch depressed
When you put it in you said you had trouble.

You could have possibly bent the PP forks by letting the tranny hang up on it.

What type clutch you have King Cobra? Did you use the TOB that came with it? Cause i've heard alot about those damn things tearing up and making all kinds of noise, mine went out after about three months, started squalling when the clutch was engaged. I checked my cable slack, adjusted it many times, still made the noise. FInally pulled tranny and replaced with stock TOB and never had anymore probs.

88Stangboy said:
What type clutch you have King Cobra? Did you use the TOB that came with it? Cause i've heard alot about those damn things tearing up and making all kinds of noise, mine went out after about three months, started squalling when the clutch was engaged. I checked my cable slack, adjusted it many times, still made the noise. FInally pulled tranny and replaced with stock TOB and never had anymore probs.

same here except i am still using the same tob. makes noise but I can deal, it really isn't that loud. I will replace it once I have more time. That noise is more like a chirping so it might not be related to yours. just an idea though.

You never did fully describe the sound it is making. Does it make it all the time or just when the clutch pedal is out? If it stops when the pedal is pushed, its the tob. Whoever ford is getting there tob's from with all their kits needs to be shot. Doesn't matter if its dry or not either.

I know of a few guys that had trouble with the TOB in the king cobra clutch kits making alot of noise. Unfortunatly i didnt hear about it till I got my kit. Ive been lucky so far though about 8,000 miles on my clutch so far with no problems

Yea, the TOB with the King Cobra kit is kind of a winnie compared to a regular one i got from Advanced. The one i got from Advanced is much more meaty, the one with the kit IMO is just not up to the increased pressure, its to flimsy. Plus mine had spun on the shaft and the fork had eaten into the rim of the TOB gualling it all up. Do your self a favor and get a standard TOB. THe clutch is fine, no complaints here about it, just the TOB.

I've done a bunch of clutches in my day and I botched my last install. I was so happy that the clutch and my new aluminum flywheel were in that I neglected to properly break them in and now I'm pretty certain that I have ruined the clutch and glazed the flywheel. What a waste of a centerforce clutch! Everybody screws up once in a while!

I have a HD kit, and the TOB is the biggest POS. I couldnt believe the crappy quality, and i have some noise like many others, not much, but very annoying sometimes. Mine only makes the noise when the pedal is depressed though.

So I am thinking that after I wasn't able to determine the noise in my tranny, it is the apparently crappy TOB that came with the KCobra clutch kit. I think I will find a tranny shop to drop it, see if there is any damage, if not, replace the TOB with a nice meaty one from Summit.