Clutch Interlock Switch (Theft)

Nonlegit

Feb 26, 2004
I was thinking as an anti theft deterrent i could put a switch inline with the clutch pedal connection. Now i have just been thinking about this academically, and other than it might be hard to reach i dont see why i could not work. If there is a connection that needs to be made (by the clutch pedal being pushed down) to start the car, couldnt i just put a switch inline with that and then hide it? I mean, it would not be perfect but i am thinking it would be a lot better than a fuel pump kill switch...in theory it should be pretty safe. If nothing else i would at least like to hear some other peoples ideas and possibly experiences with this...and if anybody has instructions on how they did it.

• Sponsors (?)

i've never tried it or known anyone who did, but it sounds good in theory. if you ran the wires real neat and clean and put the switch in the ashtray (or hidden better) as well as the fuel cut off switch then you've got yourself a cheap anti-theft device.

-steve

i have my clutch pedal safety unplugged and bypassed... took me about 30 seconds while I was T5 swapping, I'm sure whatever wiring you do can be bypassed easily... not to mention you can just push the stick out of gear and roll the car away or onto a truck anyways... you need to find a way to keep people out of the car...

like a solenoid that slides a bolt into the door, kinda like a safe. you can open the door handle all you want, but you're gonna have to break a window and make a lot of noise and crawl in dukes of hazard style into a pool of broken glass to get into the car, and broken glass is a dead giveaway of a bad car... get an MSD 6AL and remove the RPM rev limit pill so the car doesnt start, mount the MSD under the seat like I did... takes like 2 seconds to stick the pill in and start the car...

yes it can be done, but remember that all the thief has to do is jump the starter solenoid to by pass your device.

the fuel cut off is a good idea. i hope Tom will have an opinion on this:
wire a fuel cut off like a starter kill relay, using a bosch SPDT relay. run the two halves of the wire you cut through terminals 87A and 30. put a hidden switch in that supplies ground and run the output to 85. wire constant power to 86. nothing to 87.

any time you are driving, the juice will flow through the NC terminals (87A and 30). i think this is the best way to do it, that is least likely to fail. simply using an inline switch sets you up to have the car die when the switch fails, since juice flows through it while driving.
the way i describe only has the relay energized only when someone tries to start the car. otherwise the relay is at rest.

i would love to hear from Tom what the chances are of a bosch relay failing with this configuration. it is the best way to do it that i can think of or know of. any better, more reliable relay to use than a Bosch SPDT 30 amper? (Tom, i have been meaning to run this by you for awhile, so if you dont mind, let me/us know what you think about the best relay to use and the whole idea).

for good measure, use a blocking diode to prevent feedback.

HISSIN50 said:
yes it can be done, but remember that all the thief has to do is jump the starter solenoid to by pass your device.

the fuel cut off is a good idea. i hope Tom will have an opinion on this:
wire a fuel cut off like a starter kill relay, using a bosch SPDT relay. run the two halves of the wire you cut through terminals 87A and 30. put a hidden switch in that supplies ground and run the output to 85. wire constant power to 86. nothing to 87.

any time you are driving, the juice will flow through the NC terminals (87A and 30). i think this is the best way to do it, that is least likely to fail. simply using an inline switch sets you up to have the car die when the switch fails, since juice flows through it while driving.
the way i describe only has the relay energized only when someone tries to start the car. otherwise the relay is at rest.

i would love to hear from Tom what the chances are of a bosch relay failing with this configuration. it is the best way to do it that i can think of or know of. any better, more reliable relay to use than a Bosch SPDT 30 amper? (Tom, i have been meaning to run this by you for awhile, so if you dont mind, let me/us know what you think about the best relay to use and the whole idea).

for good measure, use a blocking diode to prevent feedback.

Sounds like a good reliable way to do it to me. If the relay fails you don't get the protection feature, but that is easy to check now and then.