Engine Help hard/no start runs rough.

After reading your initial post Im gonna say one of the many contributing factrs I see & one of the issue could be in the fuel injectors most likely because when you change the duty cycle in them by boosting fuel pressure sky high and go above the recommended pressure settings you overheat them plus another thing to note also does bad things to the computer when the info defies logic and the computer is going crazy trying to compensate for all the mix-match in the tune.............

Do an ohms test on them....You should get 14.4 ohms on a good injector or buy a cheap injector tester...

What most dont know is theres two open spots on the sides of the injector at the sides of the plug where you can put multimeter probes on while the engine is running...
IMG_20211214_012450.jpg

A noid light or noid light set works great too at determining if the ECU has a good signal going to each still too as it will indicate a faulty ECU in need of repair...

IMG_20211212_184947.jpg IMG_20211212_185022.jpg

You say the pressure wont to to 60 anymore and as you also know the regulator should be set to 39psi with vacuum hose unplugged as this is where the ECU knows how to make its fueling adaptations and corrections ,,,,,,,,,,

You say after all your tinkering you now have 38 and thats ok & where the fuel pressure for the injectors needs to be..,

When you go past the 43.5psi on stock Ford injectors you do bad things to them similar to overheating an engine...

Screenshot 2024-01-04 111802.jpg

If you have bigger injectors where you need more pressure than your duty cycle changes drastically and without a chip you cant adjust those factors so the computer will go squirrelly and start going into hysteresis........;- especially the air going through the throttlebody setting thats set to 0.550lbs/min in an A9L by the factory..............

Screenshot 2024-01-04 104457.jpg

After you adjust your fuel pressure and timing without spout connector and set the idle to factory settings unless you have a chip the MAF transfer functions need to be added correctly so the computer can deliver the right air , fuel and spark into the engine using the information the MASS Airflow Meter tells the ECU its handling but thats just a very general overview as theres lots of other settings that need to be adjusted especially when you adjust your idle from the factory setting using the throttlestop screw and the logic within the ECU settings fights whats demanded and is forced to tell lies to the ECU based off of poor information.......................

Screenshot 2024-01-04 104243.jpg

All of it controls air and fuel to spark and cant correct correctly if not in the ballpark..thats why logfiles are important when you do changes such as yours....

If I was datalogging and using a wideband in conjuntion and the wideband showed that I was in the 16-17:1 range I would increase lbs/min for the first 10 cells from the bottom upby the amount of fuel needed so if I needed 3% more fuel to stabilize a 14.67 stoich then I would increase the botton numbers 3% more..

The throttlestop setting also affects the TPS also the TPS voltage setting and how its read by the ECU too and can become the boy who cried wolf one too many times to an ECU by giving false info...........to calculate MAF flow the TPS must be set between .095-.096 volts and it says it right in the flow calculation parameters too unless you manipulate initial TPS setting aswell as ratch numbers.............

If your tune is say 15% off the logic & at full learn can only correct by 12% up or down because that is how its set in the tune and without a way to fix the tune and increase also decrease the learning rate nothing sensed by the ECU will be honest or become true as all the ECU does is tabulate the settings that makes up the tune and uses whats called a checksum number to run the program that it always reverts to when the kamrf is reset and like I also stated can only adjust 12% up or down..

Screenshot 2024-01-04 120434.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 120314.jpg

The only way to change the checksum is with a Ford machine or a chip but most choose the incorrect way by bumping the timing and increasing fuel pressure..

This $3500.00 doodad they now sell on ebay for maybe $300.00 that used to be a Ford Techs extensive weapon against the EEC-IV at exclusive dealerships who chose to purchase them can change the tune settings inside the ECU with zero chip needed............

These days its better and more cost effective buying this than trying to fund a chip and someone who will fearlessly tune it....

s-l1600 (12).jpg s-l1600 (21).jpg

This is a logfile shot of my newest project where I was tabulating MAF airflow so I had the ISC locked out with all of the flow going through the TB alone....................

Screenshot 2024-01-01 232636.jpg

With the ISC combined the actual number drops to around 1.2 lbs/min and before the settings change my headders were glowing at idle.........LOL

Sounds like youre not using the fuelpump monitor (wire#19) by hardwiring the fuelpump from the battery through a relay & using the pink wire as a trigger wire and not using the pink wire off the relay melded with wire #19 to run the fuel pump which actually fluxuates voltage to spin the pump faster and slower to compensate in highs and lows in the driving aswell as battery voltage...,,Its all in the tune....voltage plays a key role in it...........

88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram1.gif

Usually when you need to crank up the pressure as high as 60psi you need to step-up the fuelpump flow to atleast a 255lph/hr flow and have injectors capable of being set that high then the injector information must be changed in the ECU........

Heres some info to process....On a stock 19lb/hr injector the high slope is 19lbs and the low slope is 26lbs and the fuel pressure is set at 39 without a vacuum signal..With a vacuum signal it drops to around 33psi then increases to 39psi..........33-39psi is already quite a signifigant number increase over the lowslope number and also to note is also how you control fuel rate....

If I want more fuel but a lesser duty cycle by say 3% I would increase the lowslope number by 3% so it works less harder..............

Screenshot 2024-01-04 111735.jpg

Another area to check is the #4 wire coming off the ECU that goes to pin #5 on the TFI plug....Make sure it has 22kohms of resistance..

If it doesnt show atleast 22kohms and youre running the push start non CCD TFI module used by the A9L youll feed raw unfiltered power into the PIP signal causing all sorts of internal noise the ECU cant tune out............

IMG_20221023_145329.jpg

Another thing I want to touch upon is the clutch switch or the neutral safety switch which is this lil area right here....

Screenshot 2024-01-02 030510.jpg
Most bypass the switch by twisting the wires together or leave them open and thats bad and heres why............See these settings in the tune?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 105959.jpg

After you bypass the clutch switch the TRLOAD should be switched to 0 which is a forced neutral state then the "special injector fuel table at idle" and "special injector fuel table in neutral" settings must be enabled...

Screenshot 2024-01-04 115248.jpg

They affect these settings plus a whole lot more....................If you dont want them to be a contributing factor you must change the trans settings..

Screenshot 2024-01-04 105802.jpg

I had my clutch switch wires twisted together and it affected the way my vehicle idles after driving it for 35-40 mins and found out that the ECU was having quite a time trying to make sense why the vehicle was displaying speed when the clutch was always depressed so instead of making 12 changes in the tune I hooked the clutch switch back up...

The worst that became the contributing factor in it was when it was first fired up and ran great until 15-20 mins into the drive because the adaptive learning was trying to adjust for my driving thinking it was sitting in neutral and after 35-40 mins a different table took over and created the high idle syndrome.....................LOL

Good Luck

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-04 104603.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-04 104603.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-01-04 105737.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-04 105737.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

@ CAMTWO1070
Thanks for the detailed reply. Here's some background on this engine. It was a craigslist find that I bought for the AOD tranny. It came out of an 86 Town car I believe. It has the low compression dished pistons. I refreshed it with rings, bearings, cam, timing set and some rebuilt E4 heads (it had E6s) I had on the shelf. I'm running a stock HO cam, E4 heads, 2000ish Explorer fuel system in a new plastic tank. I don't remember the ECU number it's not an A9L but I remember looking it up and it came from an 88 Mustang with 5spd and Cali emissions. Wiring is a Painless set up. The clutch wire is jumpered per the Painless instructions. Airflow meter, TB, and injectors are from the Explorer donor.

Explorer fuel system was a returnless setup that I added the adjustable regulator and return line to. Once I got the initial bugs worked out it ran great. Shortly after installing headers I started having trouble.

I want to clear up the 60 psi thing. When I first got it running ( returnless system) it would run decent but would load up badly at slow speed or long traffic lights. When I got a gauge on it it was at 60psi. Adding the regulator 38psi and return line fixed it.

When it started running bad I was beating on it. The first thing I noticed was it would chug at high rpm 4k+ like a carb with a dying fuel pump, Then the temp started climbing so I got out of it which would usually bring the temp down. The temp continued to climb so I pulled off and wet it down. Got it home and upgraded the electric fan (chinese to a Spal) and put in a new thermostat. I got the temps to stay normal but the chug remained.
I took it to the store one day and when I came out it wouldn't start, no spark, coil died.....and here I am.

ECU is an 8LD, Wiring harness is Painless 60510. Fuel pump wire is pink and has the painless label marked "fuel pump". Injectors are the19# orange skinny style from the Explorer. I have 8 spare used 19# injectors.

After reading your initial post Im gonna say one of the many contributing factrs I see & one of the issue could be in the fuel injectors most likely because when you change the duty cycle in them by boosting fuel pressure sky high and go above the recommended pressure settings you overheat them plus another thing to note also does bad things to the computer when the info defies logic and the computer is going crazy trying to compensate for all the mix-match in the tune.............

Do an ohms test on them....You should get 14.4 ohms on a good injector or buy a cheap injector tester...

What most dont know is theres two open spots on the sides of the injector at the sides of the plug where you can put multimeter probes on while the engine is running...
IMG_20211214_012450.jpg

A noid light or noid light set works great too at determining if the ECU has a good signal going to each still too as it will indicate a faulty ECU in need of repair...

IMG_20211212_184947.jpg IMG_20211212_185022.jpg

You say the pressure wont to to 60 anymore and as you also know the regulator should be set to 39psi with vacuum hose unplugged as this is where the ECU knows how to make its fueling adaptations and corrections ,,,,,,,,,,

You say after all your tinkering you now have 38 and thats ok & where the fuel pressure for the injectors needs to be..,

When you go past the 43.5psi on stock Ford injectors you do bad things to them similar to overheating an engine...

Screenshot 2024-01-04 111802.jpg

If you have bigger injectors where you need more pressure than your duty cycle changes drastically and without a chip you cant adjust those factors so the computer will go squirrelly and start going into hysteresis........;- especially the air going through the throttlebody setting thats set to 0.550lbs/min in an A9L by the factory..............

Screenshot 2024-01-04 104457.jpg

After you adjust your fuel pressure and timing without spout connector and set the idle to factory settings unless you have a chip the MAF transfer functions need to be added correctly so the computer can deliver the right air , fuel and spark into the engine using the information the MASS Airflow Meter tells the ECU its handling but thats just a very general overview as theres lots of other settings that need to be adjusted especially when you adjust your idle from the factory setting using the throttlestop screw and the logic within the ECU settings fights whats demanded and is forced to tell lies to the ECU based off of poor information.......................

Screenshot 2024-01-04 104243.jpg

All of it controls air and fuel to spark and cant correct correctly if not in the ballpark..thats why logfiles are important when you do changes such as yours....

If I was datalogging and using a wideband in conjuntion and the wideband showed that I was in the 16-17:1 range I would increase lbs/min for the first 10 cells from the bottom upby the amount of fuel needed so if I needed 3% more fuel to stabilize a 14.67 stoich then I would increase the botton numbers 3% more..

The throttlestop setting also affects the TPS also the TPS voltage setting and how its read by the ECU too and can become the boy who cried wolf one too many times to an ECU by giving false info...........to calculate MAF flow the TPS must be set between .095-.096 volts and it says it right in the flow calculation parameters too unless you manipulate initial TPS setting aswell as ratch numbers.............

If your tune is say 15% off the logic & at full learn can only correct by 12% up or down because that is how its set in the tune and without a way to fix the tune and increase also decrease the learning rate nothing sensed by the ECU will be honest or become true as all the ECU does is tabulate the settings that makes up the tune and uses whats called a checksum number to run the program that it always reverts to when the kamrf is reset and like I also stated can only adjust 12% up or down..

Screenshot 2024-01-04 120434.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 120314.jpg

The only way to change the checksum is with a Ford machine or a chip but most choose the incorrect way by bumping the timing and increasing fuel pressure..

This $3500.00 doodad they now sell on ebay for maybe $300.00 that used to be a Ford Techs extensive weapon against the EEC-IV at exclusive dealerships who chose to purchase them can change the tune settings inside the ECU with zero chip needed............

These days its better and more cost effective buying this than trying to fund a chip and someone who will fearlessly tune it....

s-l1600 (12).jpg s-l1600 (21).jpg

This is a logfile shot of my newest project where I was tabulating MAF airflow so I had the ISC locked out with all of the flow going through the TB alone....................

Screenshot 2024-01-01 232636.jpg

With the ISC combined the actual number drops to around 1.2 lbs/min and before the settings change my headders were glowing at idle.........LOL

Sounds like youre not using the fuelpump monitor (wire#19) by hardwiring the fuelpump from the battery through a relay & using the pink wire as a trigger wire and not using the pink wire off the relay melded with wire #19 to run the fuel pump which actually fluxuates voltage to spin the pump faster and slower to compensate in highs and lows in the driving aswell as battery voltage...,,Its all in the tune....voltage plays a key role in it...........

Usually when you need to crank up the pressure as high as 60psi you need to step-up the fuelpump flow to atleast a 255lph/hr flow and have injectors capable of being set that high then the injector information must be changed in the ECU........

Heres some info to process....On a stock 19lb/hr injector the high slope is 19lbs and the low slope is 26lbs and the fuel pressure is set at 39 without a vacuum signal..With a vacuum signal it drops to around 33psi then increases to 39psi..........33-39psi is already quite a signifigant number increase over the lowslope number and also to note is also how you control fuel rate....

If I want more fuel but a lesser duty cycle by say 3% I would increase the lowslope number by 3% so it works less harder..............

Screenshot 2024-01-04 111735.jpg

Another area to check is the #4 wire coming off the ECU that goes to pin #5 on the TFI plug....Make sure it has 22kohms of resistance..

If it doesnt show atleast 22kohms and youre running the push start non CCD TFI module used by the A9L youll feed raw unfiltered power into the PIP signal causing all sorts of internal noise the ECU cant tune out............

IMG_20221023_145329.jpg

Another thing I want to touch upon is the clutch switch or the neutral safety switch which is this lil area right here....

Screenshot 2024-01-02 030510.jpg
Most bypass the switch by twisting the wires together or leave them open and thats bad and heres why............See these settings in the tune?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 105959.jpg

After you bypass the clutch switch the TRLOAD should be switched to 0 which is a forced neutral state then the "special injector fuel table at idle" and "special injector fuel table in neutral" settings must be enabled...

Screenshot 2024-01-04 115248.jpg

They affect these settings plus a whole lot more....................If you dont want them to be a contributing factor you must change the trans settings..

Screenshot 2024-01-04 105802.jpg

I had my clutch switch wires twisted together and it affected the way my vehicle idles after driving it for 35-40 mins and found out that the ECU was having quite a time trying to make sense why the vehicle was displaying speed when the clutch was always depressed so instead of making 12 changes in the tune I hooked the clutch switch back up...

The worst that became the contributing factor in it was when it was first fired up and ran great until 15-20 mins into the drive because the adaptive learning was trying to adjust for my driving thinking it was sitting in neutral and after 35-40 mins a different table took over and created the high idle syndrome.....................LOL

Good Luck
Heres what I would do.....I would go over the supplied schematic and I would create the same ECU and fuelpump relay system and run the wire back to the pump bypassing the inertia switch......

They sell relays with holders that literally slide together then you can go from there..

Another thing is seeings this is in a non-mustang vehicle the ground wires at 20 40 and 60 are highly important to the EEC and how its grounded and senses the ground aswell as eliminates noise.........

20 should go to the firewall and 40/60 should go to the core support then pigtailed to the battery negative............

The oxygen sensor ground wire called HEGO ground coming from #49 should go to the intake manifold.............

Another thing to note is if you eliminated the EGR but didnt disable it in the tune your timing wont adjust either.............The way to disable the EGR is by simply flipping the gasket so the hole doesnt line up anymore this way the vacuum solenoid triggers the EGR diaphragm and adjusts the timing through the transducer sensor on top with the 3 wires but doesnt pollute the engine air when commanded......LOL

Good Luck getting that cool ride cruising again but righteously...........HNY

ECU is an 8LD, Wiring harness is Painless 60510. Fuel pump wire is pink and has the painless label marked "fuel pump". Injectors are the19# orange skinny style from the Explorer. I have 8 spare used 19# injectors.

Ok so I can pull up the 8LD specs too and from what I see quite similar to the A9L.......

Screenshot 2024-01-04 160127.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160203.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160305.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160445.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160546.jpg

If you know the ECU code for the explorer I can look up injector breakpoints to see if they match the short bosch style injectors..................

Did you look at the relay block on the schematic I posted thats been great info for me for quite a few years by another member ?

Where did you hook #19 coming off the ECU plug?.....#19 and the fuel pump feed wire work hand in hand in maintaining an even fuel tune and to control any highs and lows created from the fluxuating the fuel pressure as youre cruising by adapting............

You stated you are getting a #15 error code...You get #15 error code when either #19 isnt hooked up with the fuelpump circuit together then run to the fuelpump or whether the KAM memory wire at pin #1 wire isnt hooked up to a constant 12v battery source..

Heres the schematic again....Like stated in my reply pay close attention to how the circuits and grounds are routed as the ECU relay output powers the fuelpump relay trigger along with the fuel injectors and also its important as to where the grounds go too for 20 , 40 , 49 and 60 and the EEC relay ground wire as RF interferrence can wreak havok in the fuelpump circuit if not wired in and grounded correctly then melded with the fuelpump relay which ahs an eccentric grounding through a relay that is triggered by the ecu..........

Does your fuelpump constantly run when the keyswitch is turned on or does it shut off after a second when the pressure is built up??

#22 is the ground wire for the fuelpump relay that has an internal relay inside the ECU to control the fuelpump.....

Last edited:
  • Agree
Ok so I can pull up the 8LD specs too and from what I see quite similar to the A9L.......

Screenshot 2024-01-04 160127.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160203.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160305.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160445.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 160546.jpg

If you know the ECU code for the explorer I can look up injector breakpoints to see if they match the short bosch style injectors..................

Did you look at the relay block on the schematic I posted thats been great info for me for quite a few years by another member ?

Where did you hook #19 coming off the ECU plug?.....#19 and the fuel pump feed wire work hand in hand in maintaining an even fuel tune and to control any highs and lows created from the fluxuating the fuel pressure as youre cruising by adapting............

You stated you are getting a #15 error code...You get #15 error code when either #19 isnt hooked up with the fuelpump circuit together then run to the fuelpump or whether the KAM memory wire at pin #1 wire isnt hooked up to a constant 12v battery source..

Heres the schematic again....Like stated in my reply pay close attention to how the circuits and grounds are routed as the ECU relay output powers the fuelpump relay trigger along with the fuel injectors and also its important as to where the grounds go too for 20 , 40 , 49 and 60 and the EEC relay ground wire as RF interferrence can wreak havok in the fuelpump circuit if not wired in and grounded correctly then melded with the fuelpump relay which ahs an eccentric grounding through a relay that is triggered by the ecu..........

Does your fuelpump constantly run when the keyswitch is turned on or does it shut off after a second when the pressure is built up??

#22 is the ground wire for the fuelpump relay that has an internal relay inside the ECU to control the fuelpump.....

So sorry for my rushing and in my haste filtered out the Painless wiring harness and first off I want to extend my condolences as Painless is owned by Ron Francis wiring and isnt wired for any actual circuit protection as ford doesnt put fuses in the ECU harness anywhere plus all the circuits are now separated wreaking havok on the ECU voltage sensing aswell as you can see from a ford schematic that all 12v sensors etc are all wired off of 1 wire but goes into 2 power taps on the ECU...

I bought the TDZ-75 for my F250 and I had to rewire the whole GD thing and meld the circuits back the way FORD had them wired in.................

IMG_20221023_150808.jpg IMG_20221010_115035.jpg IMG_20221010_115030_1.jpg IMG_20221006_124914.jpg

Heres what an old log file looked like....My tuner friend said hes never seen anything like it in a normal vehicle especially when the sparkplugs came out sooty black........

Screenshot 2024-01-04 170319.jpg

Heres what a more normalized datalog looks like after making the wiring changes and not attaching the main ECU grounds melded with O2 sensor grounds etc in one lump directly to the cylinder head which is bad as you can see.......

Screenshot 2024-01-04 174540.jpg

I know youre probably scratching your head and saying the people in the reviews sounded legit and etc but most who put these wiring harnesses in their cars / trucks are usually comped by the company for PR or part of a mega years long project or they simply dont actually drive the vehicle everyday and then the occaissional answer to a problem can be traced back to saying parts go bad through non-use and the mechanics get money in pocket while car owners take it in stride or called new project hazards/gremlins .............LOL

One thing I can guarantee that wont be on IDM circuit 4 coming off the ECU plug going to pin5 on the TFI plug is a 22ohm resistor and whats weird is where they put the spout connector on yours which says its by the ECU instead of by the distributor...

Theres some very questionable things when I review the install instructions and given it has two fuses for thr fuelpump with one labaled constant I think I got my amswer with the FP.....It also states it recommends the Ford racing ECU too and from what I can remember the 8LD is the California version of the A9L but more restricted but dont quote me on that directly as I also messed around with a DAI ECU on the same harness too and may be the California ECU..........

I also see a recommendation for a pump with a 40psi minimum with 33gph of flow.............

Screenshot 2024-01-04 181205.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 180900.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-04 180750.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221010_115052.jpg
    IMG_20221010_115052.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
  • Agree