Clutch is dead, how much ?

TheDamned

"I am Canadian and Damned for it!"
Jul 22, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi guys,

I was gently cruising to my gf's home when all of a sudden when I cluthed into 4th gear I heard the loudest grind i've ever heard.. i released the clutch and it almost went away... I was like WTF! I shifted again in another gear and bang huge grinding noise again... started to smell like burnt something aswell.. The clutch pedal felt very funny aswell so i guess my clutch bearing is throwing out and i might aswell install a new clutch... you guys have any idea what's a fair price for a new clutch install with the time included ? I don't wanna get arse-raped.

• Sponsors (?)

Did you make sure the cable didnt break?

Have someone depress the pedal while you watch the clutch fork. If the fork travel is minimal, a new cable might be needed.

Good luck.

Flat rate time on the clutch is about 4.5hrs. You should probably get a new rear main seal as well.

A new rear main seal was installed when I did my gear change 2 summers ago.

Did you make sure the cable didnt break?

Have someone depress the pedal while you watch the clutch fork. If the fork travel is minimal, a new cable might be needed.

Good luck.

No, the cable is fine Hissin.. thansk for the heads up tough.

If you do need a new clutch, it will be in the $500-$600 range. If you supply the clutch, probably $400-$500.

They checked my car today and found out that only the throwing out bearing is dead. Might aswell install a new clutch while we'r there. I got an estimation for around 500$ for the whole job... Sometime I wish I was a mechanician and not some computer nerd :notnice: :p

Thanks everyone.

FWIW, you might need or want to install a steel input-shaft bearing-retainer. The part is under 50 bucks and is what the TOB rides upon. The stock GT version is aluminum and gets chewed up.

The Rear main seal (RMS) is located at the back of the crankshaft. You remove the clutch assembly to install one, so it's not something that's normally done during a gear swap.

The pilot bearing should also be inspected/replaced, along with inspecting the clutch fork and pivot (the shop will probably atleast ask you about all this stuff).

Good luck.

FWIW, you might need or want to install a steel input-shaft bearing-retainer. The part is under 50 bucks and is what the TOB rides upon. The stock GT version is aluminum and gets chewed up.

The Rear main seal (RMS) is located at the back of the crankshaft. You remove the clutch assembly to install one, so it's not something that's normally done during a gear swap.

The pilot bearing should also be inspected/replaced, along with inspecting the clutch fork and pivot (the shop will probably atleast ask you about all this stuff).

Good luck.

Noted

Thanks alot Hissin.