CNC machine a V8 engine block from a billet block!

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
For those of you bored with TV, here's something different. A V8 overhead cam engine block being CNC machined from a solid block of aluminum billet.

See YouTube - V8 Engine Block Machined From Solid

The video is about 11 minutes, long, so have your chips and favorite liquid refreshment handy.

The thing I found interesting was that the water jacket only seemed to extend about halfway or less down the piston stroke.

• Sponsors (?)

That must be some pretty damn expensive machinery to do all that also lol

Plus I wonder if they have a way of collecting all the metal shavings cause that is a lot of metal being cut out also

machines probably on the order of $60k base, without the 4 or 5 axis rotater or any tooling (so add about 30k). and that would be for one of the cheaper machine companys out there, no idea where that company sits in the global marketplace.

and yes, all those chips will be recycled.

We just got a new CNC machine at work today. It is a 2 Axis, and cost around 300k. Those multi axis machines can get real expensive real quick, but man do they do some cool stuff.

The program for that block must be very large, there are a LOT of instructions.

Its nice to have access to the machines though, if I need a pulley milled or a custom part made, I just make it out of Billet.