Cobra Badges? Engine Swap?

So I can already assume the answer to this question but I still wanted to ask just to get people's opinions...

So I have a 97 Mustang GT and a 97 Cobra...

The Cobra is wreaked but the entire drivetrains is perfect.

I'm going to use the GT Chassis as a replacement, as in swap over everything from the Cobra to the GT and bring her back to life. I'm going to get replacement Cobra bumpers, hood, ect

The only difference the car will have when done is the VIN number.

My questions is... Is putting Cobra Badges on this GT Body/VIN a Sin even tho its a Cobra Inside?

• Sponsors (?)

There's nothing wrong with building a clone, which is essentially what you'd be doing. Guys have been building Shelby clones out of regular fastbacks for years.

As long as you're not going to try and pass it off as something it isn't when you sell it, there's no moral or legal issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Race cars get re-bodied all the time. It’s the tag, history and log books that are important. It’s part of the history of the car.

If you re-body the wrecked Cobra and document it, drive it a long time, and tell the eventual buyer the whole story before they seal the deal, that’s cool.
If you re-body the Cobra, swap the vin tag, then do not document and do not disclose it, that’s illegal.

I have an 02 GT and there is absolutely NOTHING left that represents a GT. Everything from top-to-bottom is either Cobra or even better. I have Cobra badges on it because it's more Cobra than GT.

The only time I have an issue with it is when someone tried to pass it off as something special.

"Hey, is that a Cobra?"

"No, it's a promotional Cobra! They used a GT chassis as a test platform for the upcoming cobra! It's 1 of 1 from Ford! "

"Wait what?"