Cobra grille insert vs cooling improvement?

gt90stang

Dec 7, 2002
Hi,

Question is how much will a Cobra grille insert improve my cooling on a 1990 GT? I'd hate to cut a hole in the front for no improvement.

Thanks, Don

My problem now is that with an ambient temp of 92*F my
car wants to run warm (~200*F with a 180*F stat) with
the AC on at idle or city driving. Problem is it gets
over 100*F here in the summer and I like my AC.

I've got a 306 NA, FMS M-8005-C radiator (2 x 1" core), mr. gasket
180*F thermostat, Edelbrock Victor WP (reverse rotation), 50-50
antifreeze and water with Redline water wetter and a
Mark VIII fan. Edelbrock performer aluminum heads and
intake. Also running under drive pulleys, I just put
the stock WP pulley back on and it didn't make much
difference if any. I'm running 10* timing and AFR is ok.

I've blocked all the recursion paths with closed cell
foam which helped but it still wants to run warm.
I've measured the inlet air temp just in front of the
radiator and it is 136*F max. with an ambient of 92*F
which is 44*F preheat by the AC and tranny cooler or
about what I'd expect. Scratching head now :-( any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I suspect between the underdrive crank pulley and the tranny cooler, you're just asking too much of the radiator at low engine speeds. I'd lose all the underdrive pulleys, and I'd relocate the tranny cooler (underneath) so it's out of the air path of the radiator/a-c condenser. Not sure how you're controlling your electric fan, but this may help in that regard. http://www.dccontrol.com/kitsr1.htm

Think about it, no front airflow and a bottom breather (very inefficient and makes the car work to "suck" the air off of the ground) versus a converted front breather where all the car has to do is move and the faster you go the more air is forced into the engine bay. Not to mention the open ellement versus the greenhouse-esqe effect with everything cloesd up........airflow is your friend!

Measured improvements? You don't ask for much do you? It will get better, how much better is debatable. It is definately worth doing- worste case scenario it doesn't run any cooler but it has a sweet looking Cobra grill insert :D. Remember, you are trying to cool a fluid that's pumping through an engine (parts of which are over well over 200 degrees) with 100 degree air. Another little trick is to get some 1/4" foam self adhesive weatherstrip and seal off all the areas it can escape going through the radiator, like between the rad and the AC condensor, the rad and the fan shroud, etc- making the fan more efficient. Once you are rolling along though, the fan isn't doing much work anyway anymore and the more airflow you have the better: back to the grill insert. Another way of cooling things down is to add an oil cooler. They tend to be rather cheap, pretty small, and can be mounted in various places so as to not block the rad. This would help cool you down a bit more, perhaps, as well.

If you should still have cooling problems, shoot for an external heavy-duty engine oil cooler - they seriously work and you can get a reasonable setup for under $100 easily. The cheapest and easiest way to go about it for this summer (and the summer only) would be to go to the 160* T-stat so you can begin to get your coolant under control earlier before it gets to the overheated point. Either will have an effect on your coolant temp but if you want it done right, a good, quality external oil cooler works!

How do you even put on the cobra grill? Cut out the orignal "Ford" grill and what type of adhasive should you use?

But anyways, with the combination of the air dam under the car and air directly entering the engine bay, it would seem like it would help alot.

My car ran cooler when I put the cobra insert in. My fan doesn't even come on when I'm on the freeway. with the looks I say it's worth the money. I wish you could see my purty Aluminum radiator a little better through it.

_JB_ said:
How do you even put on the cobra grill? Cut out the orignal "Ford" grill and what type of adhasive should you use?

But anyways, with the combination of the air dam under the car and air directly entering the engine bay, it would seem like it would help alot.

Yep. So once you cut there's no turning back. It comes with two sided tape but I used plastic weld because it looked like somebody could come rip it off. Now it's one with the bumper.