Cobra intake -vs- ECT sensor. HELP make it fit.

WrongMotor

Apr 16, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Ok, '91 5.0 build up.

Cobra upper and lowers. There's a hole on the front passenger corner of the lower intake. I would imagine that the ECT would go here. The problem is, the hole is to big and the ECT just drops in. How can one adapt it to work?

I know the ECT goes somewhere else usually, but this is a bare block build, w/ no smog junk, and the coolant hoses are of course, a lot different.

• Sponsors (?)

The ECT normally is installed in the the heater feed tubing that screws into that large hole. Use the heater feed tubes from your old engine and you will have everything you need. If there is no heater in your car, loop the two tubes together with a piece of heater hose.

My father-in-law (owner) threw the hose away thinking we would not need it. I have the section that the ECT screws into, but it's crushed pretty close to the fitting, and making it work isn't an option. I guess I could go to the bone yard and try to find one, but I really want to mount it in the location provided on the Cobra itake. It'd just help keep things "clean" under the hood. :)

Have you seen what I'm working on yet? www.wrongmotor.com/truck.htm

My father-in-law (owner) threw the hose away thinking we would not need it. I have the section that the ECT screws into, but it's crushed pretty close to the fitting, and making it work isn't an option. I guess I could go to the bone yard and try to find one, but I really want to mount it in the location provided on the Cobra itake. It'd just help keep things "clean" under the hood. :)

Have you seen what I'm working on yet? www.wrongmotor.com/truck.htm

The Cobra/GT40/5.0 Explorer lower intakes are all pretty much the same. All of them mount the ECT in the heater feed tube. Watch out for the Explorer heater feed tube, because the ECT ends up sideways under the distributor and you have to extend the wires to make it fit correctly.

The previous owner of my 88 did the same thing that your father in law did. The heater core in it went bad so they just pulled all the heater hoses and the hard heater feed tubes and trashed them. Then they stuck a plug in the threaded hole in the intake so it had no ECT. I got a set of heater tubes off ebay for around $20 or $25 but have been to lazy to put them on. Right now I used a brass reducing bushing to get the hole in the intake down to the right size so I have an ECT.