Cobra Owners - Need to replace your old oil cooler hoses?

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
I know a bunch of you Cobra guys still have the stock oil cooler and the aging coolant hoses. Don't have much of a choice, I know; the hoses are discontinued from Ford. Well, I decided to search my local auto part stores and see if I could find something close. And very close I did find! Take a look at the photos below. I've photographed each OEM hose next to its Goodyear hose replacement.

newold_hose_1.jpg

newold_hose_2.jpg

newold_hose_3.jpg

I had to edit the last image, because I originally thought I'd need four hoses to replace each of the four oil cooler hoses. Turns out that's not the case . I was able to get two out of one particular hose.

As shown in the pics above, the Goodyear part numbers are 63394, 63170 and 63059. You should be able to order these online or from your local auto parts store. Here's a photo of the hoses fitted on my engine:

hoses_on_engine.jpg

The one blue hose is from the Goodyear blue hose kit and isn't a pat of the oil cooler assembly. All hoses are almost exactly an OEM fit, though the large upper hose is very slightly kinked. Not enough to impede water flow however.

Here are side-by-side pics of the OEM and new hoses after they've been trimmed and fitted, so you can see how close they are to each other.

final_hose_1.jpg

final_hose_2.jpg

final_hose_3.jpg

I'm sure this page will be indexed by Google, so non-StangNet members can find this post and replace their old hoses. Now, back to my Cobra conversion! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Great information!!! I deleted mine on my old cobra as it was too much of a PITA for me plus my dad's 91 had the ford oil coller and we had trouble with oil and water mixing and found the cooler to be the cuplrit. For those wanting to keep it though this information will be great and huge time saver when trying to source parts.

Matt - I'll never use this info myself, but the fact that you did all that and posted the info is what makes the forum and the good folks like yourself so invaluable. :nice:

Matt - I'll never use this info myself, but the fact that you did all that and posted the info is what makes the forum and the good folks like yourself so invaluable. :nice:

This is what I like about this forum. Other places would flame me for posting something so "obvious". But someone will find this info useful, even if most won't. So it has value.

For those that removed the oil cooler lines, do have the "how to remove" steps and any pics it removed? I still have mine connected, but I know the day will come when it will need to go. Also, what is the benefit to removing it?

Thanks...Al