cobra stuck in reverse

BadMoFo

I will sleep with a Mod for a CT
Founding Member
Sep 28, 2001
New Bern NC
ok I got to work this morning and put my 99 cobra in reverse and now it wont come out. I can press the clutch all the way to the floor and it engages but the stick will just not move out of reverse. does anyone have a clue to what might be wrong and how much it might cost to fix?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same thing happen to me once at work in my 03 v-6.
You weren’t by any chance revving it at 5k and then accidentally dropped the clutch? :shrug:
It was my attempt at a Knight Rider skid, and I grenaded the transmission. A moment in stupidity, your post reminded me of. :D

Sometimes i cant get it into reverse, or even 1st or 2nd for that matter, and what i do is i let the car roll fowards or backwards a bit (either due to a hill or engaging the clutch) then usually it pulls out of gear. (or into gear)
Mike

You need to push you car forward a bit and it will come out of gear. I think you car still is has a t-45 in it. If it does there is a ford service bulletin about the reverse fork. they have three different forks. Sounds like you need a different one. They would have to pull the transmission and take the back half off to do so.

If it's not coming out of reverse, don't force it...you probably have a bent/damaged fork.

I just had a Viper T56 put in....at the track it locked into 4th gear. Only 600 miles or so on the "bullet proof" tranny. It's being fixed by D&D for n/c....they had a batch of tranny's go out that weren't assembled correctly.

Cost....not too much. Might need a rebiuld which is around $400 or so I believe. If it's just a damaged shift fork....not nearly that much.

I tried the pushing it foward and that did not work. I didnt force it cause I didnt want to bend the shifter or do any further damage. no I was just backing up normally and it just got stuck. I would take it to ford but I worry that they will not do any work on it since I have long tubes and that would complicate the removal of the trans.