CODE 334... EGR, Is it really important?

StangAlang0811

Apr 24, 2009
My 94 GT today just popped up a code, 334. EGR feedback signal is/was was high - EVR.

Should I go ahead and replace mine on the 94 with a new one, it smells like gas fumes terribly, and it has cats and I dont feel like pluggin them up (yet). I wanna keep this car in good NORMAL running condition until I do my ground up transformation. But I wanna get rid of the lopey idle and the annoying pop up time to time CHECK ENGINE. Also when the car is warm and you let it sit for about the amount of time you go into say, the grocery store and come back, it will start up and shut back off, if you hold your foot to the floor to do clear flood mode, it starts right up... Im picky and dont want iffy here and good sometimes, Im chasing that garage perfect 5.0 haha.

Should replacing the EGR get rid of the gas smell? and Should replacing the EGR help the car run any better? Im sure those are no brainers, but does the EGR effect the car to start and shut back off when warm?

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

The EGR can affect the ability of the car to start (EGR should not be functional while starting or at idle).

Have you done any diagnostics on the system yet?

yeah i did. Thats how I got the code, Everything on the car is good, I just had a mass air problem last week, I replaced that. Im not having mass air problems anymore, just the EGR

It might just be dirty, but my experience with them, if its not acting right, just replace it. But if the symptoms wrong with my car sounds like its EGR related is all that matters to me right now, Ive had previous same problems but never really looked at the EGR on my other 5.0s and it would shed some light on the complexity of the EGR to me

The choice is yours. I would recommend doing some diagnostics first.

You might also want to check the calibration of the ECT when the engine is hot.

Why would I do all that? Sounds like a bunch of non sense stuff to me honestly. I put the diagnostic tool on it, tells me the code, It makes sense that is whats wrong with it but I wanted an opinion on if the only problems im having with the car sound like they are related to the EGR. You just keep saying check more check more. What else do you check? Most of us are normal people with tools at home in a garage. Ive never even heard of checking calibration of ECT while hot. If you want to be more helpful you can try to explain yourself more, otherwise just leave no comment. I dont understand why somethin as simple as an EGR has to be made out to sounding like Microsoft needs to be called and Bill Gates design me a computer for a normal wear and tare part and act like Im suppose to know what the hell your talking about.

I did answer your question. A faulty EGR system could keep a car from starting. However, I noted that it was not likely to be your hot-start issue.

The ECT can be within spec (no code) but out of calibration. Testing it is the way to know. It takes 30 seconds to check.

I never indicated that it was difficult to diagnose anything. A test light, DMM, and piece of vacuum hose can handle most of it. Some people don't want to troubleshoot systems so I generally won't type up a long reply unless it's someone I know or the person seems to want to troubleshoot a system.

If you decide that you want to troubleshoot the EGR system, let us know. Otherwise, per your wishes, I will try to remember not post to on your threads anymore.