coilovers or uca

mineralgraygt

Jan 4, 2006
nj
hey guys, im trying to decide what to get. i go to the track alot and i am try to decide what to get next. i have lower control arms already and was thinking of picking up some uca. i was thinking about getting coilovers for the front. some upr coil overs 175. i have struts and camber plates already. but i have h&r supersports and i think i would probably benifit from the springs alittle more. just trying to get some insight on what you guys would do.

• Sponsors (?)

The front supersports are a good DD spring, but they don't allow much weight transfer at the track. The UPR coilovers will give you ride height adjustability and the weight transfer at the strip. Plus they aren't too expensive.

I would suggest that you decide which manufacturer you want to work with on the suspension issues and then see what they say. I have used Steeda, Maximum, and D&D. If the car is used 90% of the time on the street, Steeda would be my first choice. If you are more track oriented and plan on taking it to the max, probably Maximum. Either way, you can't go wrong.

That being said, If you do coilovers in front, get a K-member. Both Steeda and Max have complete systems. I currently have a Max on my front end with a D&D coilover which is a left-over from the learning days. The car drives like a go-cart. However, I also have Upper and Lower Control arms in the back with a steeda anti-sway bar. If you go with coil-overs though, plan on caster/camber plates that can take the whole shock load and get a set of matching dual-adjustable Koni's or something similiar. Also figure out how much of a beating you want to take on the street.

Based on my experience, for you, I would probaly start over, pick a manufacturer, Steeda or Maximum, then listen to them as to what you should do for each step. It takes a lot of time to get a setup the way you want it and you really need to think through the changes before you do it.