Cold Air Intake Into Passenger Fender ?

SF Lex

Advanced Member
Mar 8, 2016
CoCo County, California
As you can see from my picture below, i left a huge gap between the cold air intake filter, and the pipe going into the passenger fender. Is this ok ? Or should it be completely sealed off, or flat up against the fender wall ? Just want to make sure its ok, since some air filters just lay by the motor right ? I'm guessing, but i thought i'd double check. Pix of gap below, thnx.

Attachments

• 20160326_141025.jpg
    20160326_141025.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Sponsors (?)

The BBK kit I have looks a lot like that nice pictured kit. If the pipe and plate are not (roughly at least) sealed from the under engine air, it is NOT a cold air kit. And sucking in warmed air will not help performance, unless it is just too cold outside to be driving anywhere.

If it is a conical filter sucking in engine bay air, it is a HOT air intake kit. Please seal it off and avoid that. And with the filter in the engine bay kits, you are much better off with the stock CAI system. Wiser people than me have data that shows the BBK and cloned CAI kits are mostly to totally a waste of money over the stock Ford parts.
But I am leaving it for looks, and The real CAI style at least does not hurt performance. I may change my mind after the next filter cleaning. Tossing a paper filter is sure easier.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to put the screws over the cover plate, in order to make flush with the inner-fender.

P1090101_zpsjkjwk3a2.jpg
I just got my bbk cold air intake from LMR to replace the crooked one that is wearing a groove in the throttle body and fender wall. They sent the exact same pipe that was on there, I was like Wtf!? Maybe it's the wrong one, maybe it's the wrong engine? So instead of reading the directions I searched the forums. Thanks to your picture I see the pipe that came with car is on backwards, and I was trying to do the same scratching my head ignoring the 45 boot in the box. Carry on.

I just got my bbk cold air intake from LMR to replace the crooked one that is wearing a groove in the throttle body and fender wall. They sent the exact same pipe that was on there, I was like Wtf!? Maybe it's the wrong one, maybe it's the wrong engine? So instead of reading the directions I searched the forums. Thanks to your picture I see the pipe that came with car is on backwards, and I was trying to do the same scratching my head ignoring the 45 boot in the box. Carry on.

Glad it helped. Btw that Cold Air Intake pictured is a Mac for speed density, the BBK is just a sticker I had laying around at the time.

I feel that it's probably a good idea to clarify that for future reference.

I believe you need to get rid of the spacers and bolt it directly to the fender, this is how my BBK looks.
20160827_133042-2-1.jpg
That is how it will be when I put new one in. Old one missing the tb boot, so I'm stuck with new kit, looks better anyway. The pic is how it was and what it did to the tb. All that metal sucked through the intake. Hopefully it got thru the cats and isn't all caked up in there.

Attachments

• KIMG0098.jpg
    KIMG0098.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 253
  • KIMG0099.jpg
    KIMG0099.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 215