cold start idle help!?!?!!?

94twistgt

Mar 3, 2006
New Jersey
hey guys,
i really hope someone out here can help me out. i just recently added the twistwedge heads, upper and lower trickflow intakes and the B-2 blower cam. i have an automatic with a 2,800 lock-up converted to make it all happen. the one thing is when it starts on a cold morning, it just wont catch an idle. the thing goes like hell right now and once it is warmed up, the car idles like a normal car. does anyone have any idea on how to make the cold starts a little bit more liveable?:shrug: cause i surely dont know how.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm interested. This may be a thread for the tuning forum however. I usually have to let it warm up for about a minute before it won't die. I just figured I'd accept it as a fact of life with a hot cam.

thats about everything i can remember that i put in. if anyone needs anything else to try and help me out here just let me know and i will try my best to get it to you. if anyone can figure this out you will be god.:hail2:

Did that cam come with a spec sheet? You may want to post the specs.

But for fixing the idle, I'm not sure how to do it without a tuning device since the computer will try to compensate for anything you try to mess with physically. If you try maxing out the idle adjustment screw, you may find that once it warms up, it will idle at like 1500 rpm and have a really bad hanging idle.

hold the throttle at about 1500 for about 15-30 seconds and it should go away. my car does it sometimes. i have read other posts where people have solved this problem by adding or subtracting fuel on start up using a tunning device.

I'm gonna guess the maf is caled for your 24lb inj's.

With inj's that small, I'm surprised you have cold start issues.

Just one more example to show drivability issues can be so unpredictable.

When you say it won't catch, is it surging or just trying to die?

Grady

it is surging like, then it will drop too low and just die out. im at the point where i can just live with it now. i was just asking cause the guy tuning the car is getting very fustrated with this cold start idle.

94twistgt said:
it is surging like, then it will drop too low and just die out. im at the point where i can just live with it now. i was just asking cause the guy tuning the car is getting very fustrated with this cold start idle.

Please tell us more about your maf.

What kind and what cal?

Something is just not right here :nono:

You say you got a blower cam and they usually don't have much duration. That should even all the more help idle issues.

You say it is surging. That is usually a dead give away you're too fat.

Do you have your fuel pressure jacked up really high?

Anything you can think of that may be adding too much fuel during start up?

Grady