Collectors Insurance???

Hey guys, long time no post. Do any of you guys have or know anyone with our cars (87-95) with collectors insurance and how they got it. In New Jersey if you have collectors insurance you get a triangle inspect sticker instead of a square and the only thing they check for is your mileage and horn. Everytime I got to a car show, I see at least 10-20 cars with it, and they say its easy to get, but I am have troubles finding a place to do it. If anyone has any info, I would appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think just collectors ins. gets you out of some insp. things though. At least I dont think it does here in MO? I know its not elig. for special plates (and special insp. goes with the plates) until its like 15-20yrs old then the state calls it a classic, I think 30+ or something is historic.

From what I thought the classic ins. was just basicly kind of a full coverage discount package/rate since the car would not be used as much. Even the classics have to have the smog equipment that was OE to that model/year at least a visual.

They just re-did the smog stuff here in MO and as of Sep. of this year (07) all OBDI 1995 and older (pre-96 is the wording) are smog exempt but still have to pass a visual. I dont see it being hard to get a visual...like welding up a "look-a-like" cat shield to an off-road H pipe :D

I talked to some guy at atco that had it on his 95.... think he was running a 331 strait pipes no egr and stuff.... he said you have to send away for it.... and your only alowed 6k miles a year so you need to throw your spedo on a switch to cut out the odometer

My wife and I have collector's insurance through Hagerty on both her 96 Cobra and my 93 5.0. There are a few requirements:

1. You have to be able to prove that the cars are not your daily drivers. We had to provide proof that we owned two other cars and had to wait a year after we first applied so that they could see how few miles we actually put on the cars.

2. You can drive the car no more than 5,000 miles per year.

3. The car must be stored in an enclosed garage on your property.

4. You must provide a complete set of photos to the company for valuation purposes.

The cool thing about collector's insurance (besides the fact that it's dirt cheap) is that it is "agreed value" insurance and you decide what you want to insure your car for. My Fox is valued at $15,000 and the Cobra is at $20,000. If the cars are destroyed, we get checks for that amount, no questions asked. If they are damaged in a collision, they are repaired with those values in mind rather than "book values". With a regular insurance company, my 93 would be totalled if it sustained over $3000 in damage, since it's book value is about $6,000.

In short, if you can get it, it's great. If your car is a toy, go for it. If you're thinking about it for your daily driver, forget it.

My wife and I have collector's insurance through Hagerty on both her 96 Cobra and my 93 5.0. There are a few requirements:

1. You have to be able to prove that the cars are not your daily drivers. We had to provide proof that we owned two other cars and had to wait a year after we first applied so that they could see how few miles we actually put on the cars.

2. You can drive the car no more than 5,000 miles per year.

3. The car must be stored in an enclosed garage on your property.

4. You must provide a complete set of photos to the company for valuation purposes.

The cool thing about collector's insurance (besides the fact that it's dirt cheap) is that it is "agreed value" insurance and you decide what you want to insure your car for. My Fox is valued at $15,000 and the Cobra is at $20,000. If the cars are destroyed, we get checks for that amount, no questions asked. If they are damaged in a collision, they are repaired with those values in mind rather than "book values". With a regular insurance company, my 93 would be totalled if it sustained over $3000 in damage, since it's book value is about $6,000.

In short, if you can get it, it's great. If your car is a toy, go for it. If you're thinking about it for your daily driver, forget it.

Thanks for the info. It would be on my 95 GT, not my DD Cobra. But if it takes this long, I prob won't get it. I don't really plan on keeping the car too long.