Combo Questions

SR86

Founding Member
Dec 4, 2001
Alberta, canada
I have a 1988 5.0L AOD...Is this a good combo?

Pre-emission 351 heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 70mm TB
Stock HO cam
1.7Roller Rockers
1-5/8 long tube Headers, X pipe

AOD with 2400 stall, and transgo shift kit

and if I get it soon enough, a Mass Air swap, with a 70mm MAF

Is this going to end up being a piss poor combo? Should I change any of the components?

• Sponsors (?)

SR86 said:
I have a 1988 5.0L AOD...Is this a good combo?

Pre-emission 351 heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 70mm TB
Stock HO cam
1.7Roller Rockers
1-5/8 long tube Headers, X pipe

AOD with 2400 stall, and transgo shift kit

and if I get it soon enough, a Mass Air swap, with a 70mm MAF

Is this going to end up being a piss poor combo? Should I change any of the components?

With such a mild buildup why run a Performer RPM intake? Just get a regular performer or Typhoon [same as Edel Performer??] or a Cobra intake...

The 351 heads.... Do you have them already? Are they rebuilt? Ported or anything done to them? I ask because if you havwe to refurbish them, you could look into some GT 40Ps, regular GT 40s, or Thumper or Powerheads worked/ported stock "E7" castings... ALL of which will work excellent for what you want to do.

Also if the car doesnt have at least 3.27 gears... you'll be wanting to go with 3.73s or something.

3L73's.

Is the Typhoon not the rip off the RPM? That is what I was looking at purchasing. The heads I'm looking at trading an old T-5 for, and the valves are larger. Can't recall the sizes however, but it was larger than the old E7's.

The "pre-emmision " heads are?????? C90E?? C90Z ?? D0OE ??? they all sux!! Get the E7s or GT40s... they will build more power and are unleaded friendly!! Stock cam and the 1.7s... ok that is cool... but the 1.6s and and a small FMS E cam will build more power.... and cheaper than rockers... unless you have them already!! cool??

Other than that... bump the gear...3.73 and your rocking!!

Just me...................

Thumper

Ok, here's what the motor consists of now. (as you can tell, I'm on a budget,but wanna go fast)
Stock 88HO
E7's
Stock upper/lower, TB
1 1/2" Primary headers, Shorties(single 3"
1.7 Roller Rockers
K&N
AOD
8.8 L/s with 3.73's

What I have planned- either port the hel outta my heads, or replace them. 1 5/8 Long tubes (already have), X-pipe, Typhoon intake, 70mmTB, 2400 Stall, Shift kit, trans cooler, and drag radials...Right now, she runs a 15.1, but I'm hoping for low-mid 14's....does this sound like it'll do it?